• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 41 Florida - Norway

sveinutne

Member III
I have been looking at this Teakflex for some time, and I wonder if it might be a better option then this friction paint to put on the deck.You can look at it at:
http://www.teakflex.com/
But none as I know of in our sailing community has tried it, so I hate to be the first to try it especially when I am not sure it will be good.
Has any of you tried it?

Last edited:

sveinutne

Member III
I was first thinking of putting the E-41 back into vintage condition, but when I had to pay $1625 for an Evinrud 9.5 hp from 1971 I changed my mind. I manage to stop the purchase, and bought a used 9.9 hp for $500 in stead.
Now I think of pimping her up in stead of bringing her back to 1970.
So now I have engine mount for the dingy engine in Teakiflex, and the helm seat is also in Teakiflex. I might also put that on the cockpit floor.
Now I am looking at autopilots on ebay and have found some North star 3300 Autopilot.
Will that work in the E-41?
I am also putting in a 400 watt wing generator, so I will have enough power to run the autopilot. It is now for $440 so it is rater expensive just to buy without knowing it will work in the E-41. So please if some of you have any knowledge about this. Will the NorthStar 3300 be good in the E-41?

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Svein~ No that will not work on your boat. All that you will get is the power head for $440. Read up on Raymarine and Simrad Autopilots for sailing vessels related to the displacement weight of your E41

sveinutne

Member III
Thank you Tim,
I will buy it if you will send it to Tampa. There is so much work that is needed, so it will not leave Tampa before the end of April.
How much will it be with postage to Tampa Fl?

Last edited:

sveinutne

Member III
That is fine with me. Just tell me what e-mail I should pay to.
You can send it to:
> Jennifer Smith
> SSMR, Inc.
> 727-823-4800 voice
> 727-823-3270 fax

Please mark it with "UTNE", "Heart of Gold" and "REN ENERGI"
She will be renamed Ren Energi, it is Norwegian, and in English it will be like Clean Energy. I think that would be nice on a sailbout. I also got a company in Norway with the same name, and then it might give some free advertising.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Save your notes

Svein,
I do hope that you are keeping a copy of all your thoughts and emails on this project. And wherever possible, lots of pictures. There is definitely a Book in the offing someday...
Reserve me a signed first edition!

:egrin:
Cheers,
Loren

ps: we once imported a used sailboat from Canada... but that's not very "foreign." :rolleyes:

sveinutne

Member III
I am using a laptop as chart plotter, It is running C-map, and it can communicate with an autopilot. Can this ST4000 talk to a PC?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I believe it has the standard Seatalk bus and NMEA connection but check the manual I linked in the previous message to be sure.

I will need a street address for shipping including city and zip code.

sveinutne

Member III
Jennifer Smith
SSMR, Inc.
101 16th Ave S #1A
St. Petersburg, FL 33701

727-823-4800 voice
727-823-3270 fax

What email should I use to send $250 to?

Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Thanks Svein. I will ship it tomorrow to:

Jennifer Smith
SSMR, Inc.
101 16th Ave S #1A
St. Petersburg, FL 33701

I will also write on the box:

"UTNE", "Heart of Gold" and "REN ENERGI"

sveinutne

Member III
Today I got a shock, I received picture of the engine for the first time. Help the engine is a …. (Not nice to put in writing). The V-drive has planed to replace, but now the whole engine must be replaced. I hope pictures shown here will stay here and not to be shown outside this web area. It is not a book in writhing, but I might have my reasons for keeping it semi private.:mad::mad::mad:

Attachments

• IMG_3412.jpg
    IMG_3412.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_3406.jpg
    IMG_3406.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_3405.jpg
    IMG_3405.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_3402.jpg
    IMG_3402.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_3403.jpg
    IMG_3403.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Emerald

Hi,

Looking at what appears to be long term standing water in the bilge, make sure all mechanical and electrical equipment is OK. All wiring should also be examined. Also, make sure the stringers under the sole are OK and not rotted from long term water exposure.

Does the propeller shaft turn? The entire drive line should be looked at. After seeing these pictures, and thinking of the use you plan, anything that touches the water, like stuffing box, through hulls, seacocks, I think should be replaced if their age is unknown.

Will you be able to come and do the work yourself? It makes it much more cost effective, and then you know the boat because you have touched all of it. Make it two weeks of boat vacation as part of your plan.

Last edited:

sveinutne

Member III
Hi David,
Yes, it really makes sense to fly over and spend some weeks on the boat. I was in shock after seeing the pictures of the engine and driveshaft. I will go to the police as the first thing in the morning and apply for a new passport. This new biometric type that is required for entering USA. I still got 5 year left on the old passport, but it is no good for entering USA. I think it will take 10 days to get this new passport, so it will take some time before I can get there.
Loren, maybe you will get your signed copy of the book after all. I had no plan or intention of writing a book about this. I thought it would be just a quick perches, and then send her home so I could start sailing.
What do you think about this working title:

“The night I bought a sailboat on eBay, half the way around the world?”

Catchy? Or maybe you got a better one?

Last edited: