• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Outboard Motor Cut-Out on E27

Dan Mendat

Has anyone cut out the transom on the E27 to mount an outboard motor like Ericson suggests? I've removed the tempermental Volve Inboard and will either be installing the E-Pod from re-e-power.com or installing an outboard 8-9.9 hp longshaft motor. My concerns will be:
1. Where do I cut?
2. What will I be cutting through? Solid fiberglass or cored?
3. Do I need a mounting block also where the outboard clamps will tighten down on?
4. Does anyone have a good picture of their transom with the outboard mounted in this configuration to help guide me? I don't want a kicker bracket.
5. Did Ericson do anything other than just cut out that area and smooth out the cut edges, ie reinforcement?
6. Is it a reasonable option to use the existing onboard fuel tank since it is already vented and in great shape?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I may need to be selling this boat during or after this season if my home sells and our relocation to Florida happens. I'm thinking that an outboard might be a better selling point for the boat rather than the E-Pod from re-e-power, although I like the E-Pod much better and my experiences with it have been nothing but positive on my previous boat. It just tends to scare some people to have electric. Don't know why.
Fair Winds
Dan Mendat
1974 Ericson 27

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Dan~
I think if you are really concerned about re-sale, put a new gas/diesel in. I personnally love the electric motor (E-Pod) idea and would find that a positive reason to buy a 35 year old boat. It will be hard to retrieve any of the cost to repower your boat. The least expensive way is to add a bracket and run controls back to the cockpit. Again did I tell you I think the E-Pod is the way I would go if I was in your shoes?:)

Dan Mendat

Dan~
I think if you are really concerned about re-sale, put a new gas/diesel in. I personnally love the electric motor (E-Pod) idea and would find that a positive reason to buy a 35 year old boat. It will be hard to retrieve any of the cost to repower your boat. The least expensive way is to add a bracket and run controls back to the cockpit. Again did I tell you I think the E-Pod is the way I would go if I was in your shoes?:)

I'm not really concerned about resale value. I bought the boat for very little money because it needed serious clean up and some minor repairs. Boat has always been freshwater so it was a good deal. Even if I go E-Pod or outboard, I'll come out ahead. A new inboard would be against my better judgement and well beyond my budget. Thank you for your real world attitude toward electric propulsion. It really is awesome and is my first choice. I'm just trying to line up other possibilities in case one or the other doesn't work.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Dan,

I couldn't agree more about electric auxiliary. Have you looked at any of the inboard electric motors, SolidNav, Electric Yacht? You already have the shaft and the prop might be big enough if it was sized for the diesel.

I installed a SolidNav Explorer about a year ago and the more I live with it the more I like it. The Explorer is a nice match for the E27. I added a photo of it in the Community section of this site.

As far as resale, when I sold my E23 Mk1 the electric (36 volt 105# thrust trolling motor) auxiliary was a big selling point.

What did you have the Re-E-Power in?

Dan Mendat

Dan,

I couldn't agree more about electric auxiliary. Have you looked at any of the inboard electric motors, SolidNav, Electric Yacht? You already have the shaft and the prop might be big enough if it was sized for the diesel.

I installed a SolidNav Explorer about a year ago and the more I live with it the more I like it. The Explorer is a nice match for the E27. I added a photo of it in the Community section of this site.

As far as resale, when I sold my E23 Mk1 the electric (36 volt 105# thrust trolling motor) auxiliary was a big selling point.

What did you have the Re-E-Power in?

Mark,
I had the small system 2000 on a 1976 Southcoast 22, a boat that was not capable of ever having an inboard and only used outboards. The E-Pod was awesome and I swore I'd never own anything else but electric after dealing with the original 6 hp ouboard that the boat came with and that I used for a season. E-Pod made me a better sailor believe it or not.
Using an inboard electric motor attached to the shaft is not an option for a few reasons. First, I already removed the shaft and filled in the stern tube. Second, onboard electric conversions are not usually as effecient and create a fare amount of heat that might have to be dealt with. Plus, why have a stern tube, cutless bearing, and stuffing box? All things that cause problems! The E-pod bolts right to the bottom of the boat, is cooled by the water, and is super effecient since the prop is attached directly to the the motors shaft. It worked beautifully on the Southcoast.
One of my main concerns is that Re-e-power is behind on production because of demand and I worry my sailing season might be cut short. So if it comes down to the wire, I'm interested in cutting out the stern area and mounting a longshaft outboard.
Fair Winds,
Dan Mendat
1974 Ericson 27