• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

removing prop shaft on E32-2..??

pablo

Member I
Does anyone know what's involved in removing shaft in order to replace the cutlass bearing on a E32-2?.........

wondering how the shaft is pulled out....could really use some good advice...thanks.

Salty Dawg

Sic Em WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF
Don't get the shaft!

A 32-2 should not require removal of the shaft to replace the bearing. If you have a strut, the bearing may be pressed out using a simple bearing press. You don't need to remove the prop if you use a two piece bearing.....project should take less than an hour.

Good Luck:egrin:

pablo

Member I
Thanks, Salty Dawg....

Great news, mate! So where can I get a bearing press and where can I get a hold of the 2 piece cutlass bearing?

tenders

Innocent Bystander
If you search the archives you'll find a lot about this process.

It is possible to borrow rent or make a bearing press to squeeze the old bearing out of the strut without removing the shaft.

But there are not, as far as I'm aware, two-part marine cutless bearings, so you will have to remove the prop to get the old one off and the new one on, but that is not a big project.

Salty Dawg

Sic Em WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF
Cutless

Here are a couple of pullers courtesy of Good Old Boat Magazine. The cutless puller also acts as the press for install. I purchased my bearing from the yard where I do my haul-out. I'll give them a call in the AM. If you can't find a two piece bearing just pull the prop....might add 20 minutes to the project. :egrin:

Attachments

• Cutless Puller.jpg
    Cutless Puller.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Prop Puller.jpg
    Prop Puller.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 104