• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Portlight replacement on 32-2

Salty Dawg

Sic Em WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF
Thinking about replacing my leaking portlights with Beckson Model 512's. Seems to be a cheap way of fixing a perpetual problem .....$110 each.Anyone used Beckson before? Please advise!:egrin:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Kansas? I was in South Carolina yesterday and today and I didn't see any signs for Kansas. I thought Kansas was out west, near Oregon. ;)

My thought on port lights is that I would never install one with a spigot that could forcibly remove skin from my ankles. I've lost too much skin already. I don't know if this a problem on an E-32-2.

Lawrence B. Lee

Member III
Lost in space

Thinking about replacing my leaking portlights with Beckson Model 512's. Seems to be a cheap way of fixing a perpetual problem .....$110 each.Anyone used Beckson before? Please advise!:egrin:
Yo Bull Dog! Do you not realize what state you are in?
As a Clemson bumper sticker said a few years past "Let the big dog read!"

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I looked at the Beckson website and noticed that on the installation description they mention that the spigots should be trimmed flush after installation for best drainage.

Is that common with other portlights as well? How would you do it without marring the outer trim? I guess you could "dry fit" the ports first, mark the depth and trim the spigot before final installation...but if you make a mistake you're pretty much stuck.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have seen a number of those installations where the port frame was never trimmed flush. It looked like a good way to carve up a shin bone some time.
:(
Just do a good patient dry-fit, and, as they say, "measure twice and cut once."

Loren

Michael Edwards

Member II
I have seen a number of those installations where the port frame was never trimmed flush. It looked like a good way to carve up a shin bone some time.
:(
Just do a good patient dry-fit, and, as they say, "measure twice and cut once."

Loren

When I installed mine, I cut a plywood template to resize the holes for the Becksons. Before putting the trim ring on, I clamped the plywood in place and used a handsaw to cut the spigot flush to the template. With the template still in place I sanded though 600 grit. I then installed the trim ring. The spigot extends 1/4" beyond the trim ring. I did not through bolt the frame as many do. I did this about eight years ago, looks good with no leaks. The grey lenses have fogged, probably from spraying insecticide.