• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-3 Rudder Position Sensor

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I finally have the mechanical installation of my RPS complete. I removed the quadrant. This made the installation much easier.

In the first photo you see the RPS installed on the bottom of the cockpit sole. The center of the RPS is in line with the center of the rudder post. The arm is sprung all the way to port. This photo is looking forward and once the connector arm is attched it will be in line.

pict0014.jpg

This next photo shows the quadrant with the adapter. It is made from 2 layers of 1/2" starboard. The pin will be the exact length from the center of the rudder post as the pin on the transducer. This will give exact reading of the rudder angle.
dsc_0003.jpg

Last edited:

Cory B

Sustaining Member
spacer?

Hi Tim,

Nice job. Slightly off-topic question... I noticed in your pic that you have a spacer between your quadrant and the stuffing box. Do you know if thats OEM? We don't have that on ours... the quadrant rests directly on the stuffing box.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I have no idea Cory. So your rudder tube is higher or your stuffing box is longer or your quadrant sits lower? Care to post a pic? Maybe some other owners will chime in on how theirs is setup.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Looks just like the rudder tube/post on my E38 but like Cory says, the tube is much taller on my boat. The quadrant only has an extra inch of space above it, tops. RT

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Heres a pic of ours. It looks like our rudder post is taller. I forgot that we hava a plastic washer of some kind sitting between the post and the quadrant. Is your sleave free floating or through bolted? And what year is your boat? I wonder if its a change they made in later boats to allow putting on a below-decks autopilot or something... we probably don't have the space to put one in independent of the quadrant.

Attachments

• RudderSheaves2_small.JPG
    RudderSheaves2_small.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 381
Last edited: