• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 41 for sale on E Bay. No reserve!- SOLD

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I took a long look at that boat in late 2004 the last time she was up for sale, and if anyone is interested I can dig out the notes I made. At that time she was basically solid, and had received good care and attention along with some good upgrades in the 90s; however the last owner since about 2000 had not lifted a finger.

There were two soft spots in the deck, each about the size of a foot, which are not mentioned in the current advert; they ought to be repaired at the same time as the non skid.

Gareth
Freyja E35 241 1972

ref_123

Member III
It would be really interesting if they had the reserve...

Any idea how much it would cost to trailer her to CA? I suspect it will be huge as it will have to be a wide load... Delivery via Panama Channel will cost a huge pile of money too I guess.

Regards,
Stan

stillwater

Member II
shipping cost

Not counting the cost of loading I had a E39 (wider than E41) shipped last May to Bellingham, WA (90 miles north of Seatle) from Marblehead, MASS. for $10,000. Fuel is much cheaper now so it might be less now. I can give you the person's name if you are serious.

Dal
E39 "Stillwater"

sveinutne

Member III
I am the new owner of this Ericson 41

Hi all,
I am the new owner of this Ericson 41:egrin:. I am really looking forward to using her, but first the engine and transmission will get some servicing. I live in Norway, so it will have to make it over the Atlantic on a ship or on her own keel.
I am checking with several cargo companies for the best price to Europe, but if it is too high, it will have to go by sail.
If any of you know of a good company with reasonable prices for transport, I am very interested in hearing about it.
Also I am trying to find out if some Ericson 41 has been registered in Europe. If so I will save some money on CE classification.
Regards
Svein

Last edited:

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Svein~ Congradulations on your purchase of that "classic" boat. Im sure it would be much easier to ship her back to Norway, but it would be a great shake down cruise that will give you stories for the rest of your life!!! :egrin:

Last edited:

sveinutne

Member III
Hi Rob,
Thanks for your gratitude. It might be great stories for the rest of my life, if I make it to tell any stories:esad:.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Contact Dudley...

Svein -

I doubt they are involved with overseas transport, however they are a major North American mover of yachts on land - so they may know some of the players who move them overseas and can give you a contact:

http://www.dudleyboats.com/

//sse

sveinutne

Member III
Thank you Sean,
I will call them on Monday and hear what they might be able to do.
My grandfather bought a boat in Norway in 1927 and sailed it to China with his wife and four children and some helping hands. He had a lot of stories to tell after that. It was so many that he finely wrote a book about it. Some are interesting highlights, and some make you think twice about doing such a trip.
If someone is interested I might give a short version of it.

Last edited:

sveinutne

Member III
This tread is for buying and selling, so I guess story telling should be in a different place. Please tell me where the right place would be, and I will follow that.
Back to buying. If “Heart of Gold” should make it over the Atlantic on its own keel, I would need a lot off equipment, but most of it would also be good to have in Norway later so it is no loss.
If some of you might have an autopilot or wind-vane that would fit in an Ericson 41, I am very interested in hearing from you.
Also I would need life raft for offshore condition for 4 or 6 persons and all the rest of safety equipment such a trip would demand.

Last edited:

sveinutne

Member III
I was planning to write a short story about my grandfather and his trip from Norway to China, but after reading the story by Neal Weinstein, this will be like a Sunday stroll in the park, so maybe I will save it for later. I will recommend reading the story by Neal Weinstein. It is under (EY.o Sea Stories) My hands are still shaking after reading it, and I was planning a trip in the same water this summer, but now I have double what I will accept as cargo fee.
I have never bought a boat in the US before, and I wonder what is needed of papers and registration, just to be sure everything is done right.

Last edited:

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
You have got yourself a good deal on that boat - if it were not for the constraints of my job right now I would have been very tempted to outbid you. She has good lines and is a good layout for cruising with a good number of friends.

I have been trying to prepare an E35 for the north Atlantic crossing (my job is giving me little time for the work unfortunately), and I looked at Heart of Gold in October 2004 with a view to that voyage. I do not know what work has been done since, but it looks like not much; these are my thoughts:

She needs a LOT of work before attempting the trip. A LOT of work, it will not be possible to fly to Florida, pick her up and sail her away unless you can spend a good chunk of time there making her ready (I will not say how long it will take without knowing your knowledge base), and I would caution against having too tight a timetable before you know the full extent of the work required.

Engine: Unless you are good with diesels and transmissions, I would ask in the Gulf coast section on this site for a recommendation for a mechanic in that area. I would also ask about possible locations to keep the boat, the advert on ebay said you would have to vacate the current slip quickly, you may have to contact Sea Tow or equivalent to get towed somewhere else. The seller says the transmission needs work, and the diesel has not run it years, so the work may be significant. As I recall the fuel tank was in decent shape.

Rig: She was damaged by Hurricane Charlie in 2004, during which the mast tangled with the neighbouring boat, and the top of the mast was broken off. The ebay seller said work had been done, but since you do not know the quality of it, you will want to get it inspected; again, ask on this site for a reccomendation for a rigger in that area. The new chainplates that are pictured were done before the hurricane, so may contain hairline cracks. If the job was done well, everything should be OK, but there are plenty of cowboys in US boat yards that you do not want to trust with your life.

Deck: The non skid is not part of the paint on this boat, but a laminate glued down to the deck. It was peeling badly four years ago, and may have to be repaired before the journey if bad enough to have any risk of you going overboard half way between Greenland and Iceland. You may be able to just patch it for now. Ideally you would repair the soft spots in the deck at the same time as replacing the non skid (see my first post above), but that would not be essential for the journey - if you repair the non skid now you would not want to cut holes in it later.

Sea cocks: I no longer remember whether the original gate valves had been replaced, if not, add replacing the through hulls with sea cocks and new drain hosing to the to do list. (I think, stretching my memory, they had been replaced with ball valves)

Wheel: The cables looked original, they were in decent shape in 2004, but inspect them. You will want to have a tiller for emergency use, there is already a mount for it.

Anchor: My memory is she had a good CQR anchor, but the rode may need replacing. There was a roller, but I do not recall what kind of windlass, if any, there was.

Electrical system: This had some upgrades in the 90s, but you may find some of it is no longer working. You will need new batteries without a doubt, and may need to replace essential equipment such as lights.

Plumbing: She had a flexible holding tank loose in a cabinet in the head - not ideal, but it may work for the journey. It will likely take a lot of work before the plumbing works properly, but if you do not mind washing out of a bucket you may be able to leave it until you are in Norway.

Deck hatches: She has forward facing and not very robust hatches, designed for coastal sailing. Plenty of sailors have crossed the ocean with them, but if a wave breaks over the deck it could rip them off, and you would have one hell of a time trying to keep the boat afloat if that happened in a storm. They can be reversed with some fibreglass work, or, better, replaced with ocean worthy Lewmar hatches with considerable fibreglass work.

Portlights: They were leaking in 2004, and it is clear in the pictures they have been leaking for some time. They are seaworthy, but the sooner they are resealed the better.

Galley: Stainless steel insulation had been added in the 90s, but the fridge was not working. Nor was the stove, nor plumbing. Can you stand eating cold tins of food underway?

Extra equipment: I do not know your sailing background, but there have been discussions of essential items for ocean crossings on this site, and there are many books on the subject. Usually, such things are cheaper in the US than in Europe, although the dollar has strengthened a lot in the last year.

Finally, I have heard of boats being shipped by container, so it is possible, but I have no idea how much it would cost to ship a 17500lb 41' boat.

I hope that helps (your English seems very good, but do not be afraid to ask if there is anything you do not understand). I recommend you take a digital camera to look at the boat, so you can post pictures here of anything you want to ask questions about.

Good luck....

Gareth
Freyja E35 241 1972

Last edited:

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I forgot to mention papers and registration. You can be glad that Norway never joined the EU, but I imagine the paperwork may still be extensive. One of the dangers if you get the boat shipped will be having to pay for storage at the import dock at a very high rate while the process takes a very slow course. I would get a receipt from ebay or the seller since I would imagine Norway would charge import duty - although some countries have a clause that you can avoid it if you and the boat are in another country for long enough.

To get insurance you will need a survey (ask for a recommended surveyor in Tampa), and presumably some kind of registration in Norway.

I assume your question was about getting the vessel rated as seaworthy, as the EU now demands; I do not know of any E41 ever going to Europe.

Gareth
Freyja E35 241 1972

sveinutne

Member III
Dear Gareth Harris,
Thank you so much for your extensive report on “Heart of Gold”. Are you located close to Tampa? My reason for asking is that Ed Collins has recommended a mechanic that is very good, and was a close friend of a previous owner, so he gave me his phone and e-mail address, but I only got an answering machine on the phone and the email address was no longer working.
I do not want to try to start the engine before it has been serviced by a professional, and the v drive fixed.
You are right Norway is not a member of EU, but we are closely related, so it almost the same. What will make the process of CE certification more easy is to show it has been done before in another EU country, or if it was sold in any EU country before 1995. If you know of any good mechanic in the Tampa area, I would be very interested in that.
Regards
Svein

Last edited:

sveinutne

Member III
I manage to reach the highly recommended mechanics, and he will now be my representative taking care of “Heart of Gold” till I will come.
Regards
Svein Utne

Last edited:

sveinutne

Member III
Now the repair and transport to Europe I might have under control. The next will be the paperwork for getting it CE certified. This EricsonYachts.org is a fantastic place. It holds a lot of information and best of all a lot of friendly helping people. I am not so familiar with this site yet, so I am not sure where I should post this to get in contact with Bruce Kings’s son Martin or some of the former employees of Ericson to find out if they did some export to Europe. If none Ericson 41 made it, it might help if one of their sister models did.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If none Ericson 41 made it, it might help if one of their sister models did.

Last year I saw an ad in the UK magazine Yachting Monthly (or it might have been PBO... I forget...) for a 70's era Ericson 35 Mk2.

Maybe brokers in the UK also have a "sold" database they can check...
:confused:

Loren

sveinutne

Member III
Thank you Tim and Loren for your help,
Martin answered my email, but it was not much he could do. So I think I have to look in different directions. Maybe Yacht World, brokers in Europe or asking incurrence companies in Europe if thy have any registered, but that would be like looking for the needle in the haystack.

Last edited: