• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-34 Water System Vacuum Problem

phildogginit

Member II
I also had this problem. It messed with my "Tank Tender" gauge and required venting at the inlet. I think the problem started when I overfilled the front tank, and a water lock formed in the tank drain pipe.
I solved it by opening the vent line drain under the galley sink, and blowing air into the vent line at the settee tank. This cleared the water out of the line, at least for now.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
There are three vent shutoffs above the tank supply line shutoffs under the sink. Make sure they are all open and leave them open. The tank doesn't work without the vent open.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This is interesting. My boat has a manifold with two plastic ball valves, located under the sink. These are to select either the forward water tank or the aft water tank. Both of the tanks had their own vent hose directly to a nearby "spout" on the counter, right over a sink (galley and head).

I had not heard of EY using valves for the vent lines before.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
On my '87, the three supply shutoffs are mounted on the right side under the sink. The vent shutoffs were at the back wall under the sink. I moved them above the supply shutoffs for convivence when I was reorganizing under there. I just checked and I don't have any pictures of them. Next time I'm at the boat, I could take one if it would be helpful.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My '84 381 was set up just as Loren's Olson is.

There must have been a reason for the vent shutoffs on the E34. Anything in the manual?

supersailor

Contributing Partner
There is also the possibility that my vent lines had been replumbed by a previous owner. Also, check to ensure that the vent lines are not plugged. The bow tank vent was plugged when I bought Terra Nova probably from lack of use.

HerbertFriedman

Member III
On my 87 E34, there are three tubes for the three water tanks all connected to dump into the sink, with no shut off valves. I added a shut off valve to each vent tube so that I could isolate each tank vent when filling.

I was concerned that without such isolation, filling one tank would fill the others (via the vent tube) and I wanted to fill each tank separately so that I could keep the bow tank empty unless I was cruising and wanted the extra storage. Under normal operation, all the shut off valves are open since each tank needs a vent to prevent a vacuum from forming. I will look more carefully but I didnt see any vent fitting into the anchor locker.

HerbertFriedman

Member III
Tom, I agree with you, my 87 E34 did not have isolation valves and all three vent tubes were connected to the spigot on the sink, But after a closer look at the heights of the tanks and the spigot, I concluded that if I wanted to fill just one water tank, the others would also get filled via the vent tubes. So I added an isolation valve to each vent tube. When I am done with filling, I open all the vent valves. Question, did I really need those valves??

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Water entering the vent during fill ups of the back two tanks is what probably caused the plugged vent (wet/dry cycles). I think being able to isolate the forward tank is a good idea. You are on the right path, Herb.

Thaddeus

Member II
Topic is so pertinent.
This year my forward tank would not fill or pump unless I removed the vent pipe from the tank. Vent tube is clogged. I have not yet done this but plan to blow compressed air from the downhill side back to the tank to hopefully unclog the vent. Can it be this simple?
I have a manifold with three valves, one for each tank located under the sink.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Heights and Vents

While my experiences may seem less relevant because my model is different in some ways. perhaps some comparisons might still be helpful.

When we bought our boat we were surprised to find that the factory stock method of filling both fresh water tanks was thru a 2 inch screw-out plug in the top of each one. Not like any boat I had owned or crewed on. Our main tank was under the starb. settee and the optional factory tank was under the cockpit seat hatch, way down against the bottom.
Each tank did, OTOH, have the standard EY vent fitting, with the settee tank vented thru a spout on the galley countertop in from of the sink, and the aft head having its separate spout overlooking the head sink.

Since we never would have a problem with an overflowing vent, like all of the boats with a deck fill, this seemed like overkill to me.

(With a deck fill, just about everyone (sooner or later) leaves the water run with the nozzle stuck into the fill opening and only checks on it again when: 1) the water starts shooting back out around the hose and/or 2) the inside vent starts shooting water into the sink. :)

Since we *always* know when the tank is filled because one of us is holding the hose just inside the top of the tank, we never had water enter into the vent hose. The vent is just there to let air in as we use up the water.

As part of the project to replace the settee tank with a larger one, I replumbed the vent hose up and under the galley counter with a little U fitting at the top. Since this puts it a couple of feet above the tank it should never have water in it unless the boat inverts... and at that point we will other worries. :(

When I had a new aft tank fabricated that fit the area a *lot* better, I ran a short piece of 1.5" fill hose up by the inside of the cockpit seat and put a fitting with screw-on cap on it. I also ran a vent hose right up beside it. I can see when the tank is about full and just shut off the hose.

Note that we have a little ball valve on the end of the hose -- often found in garden supply stores -- and we can then fill tanks or switch to a nozzle for wash down without going ashore to the head walk to turn the hose off and on.

So.... I wonder if the tank vents on the EY models could be rerouted so that there are no low places in the hose run(s)?
And also kept separate so that no water can wander between tanks?
.....Seems like a concept worth pondering....
:cool:

Added material: in case anyone was wondering, we kept the fill scheme and do regularly fill the settee tank thru one of the 6" screw-out ports on top (on either side of the internal baffle). This works very very well.

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Tom, I agree with you, my 87 E34 did not have isolation valves and all three vent tubes were connected to the spigot on the sink, But after a closer look at the heights of the tanks and the spigot, I concluded that if I wanted to fill just one water tank, the others would also get filled via the vent tubes. So I added an isolation valve to each vent tube. When I am done with filling, I open all the vent valves. Question, did I really need those valves??

I have the optional bow tank which I really wanted when I bought the boat. I have filled it once. I decided that adding 170# to the bow acted like an excellent drogue when sailing and, being a water Nazi (according to my kid's girlfriends) I didn't need the water.

Sunday I dumped the tanks for winterizing and there was virtually no water in the bow tank. When filling the tanks I fill the port tank until water runs out of the vent, and then some. I then fill the starboard tank carefully because the inspection port leaks and water runs out onto the cabin sole if I over fill it. Evidently no significant water from the port tank vent makes it to the bow tank.

I don't care if water from the port tank vent gets into the starboard tank because I always fill both and use both. The foot pump for port, pressure pump for starboard. Being on a lake most of our water use is from the seawater pump.

HerbertFriedman

Member III
Tom, it looks like my concern that filling either the port or starboard water tanks would also fill (somewhat) the bow tank was not a concern. OK good to know. I may just keep all the isolation valves open, its a pain anyway since I have to remove a wire basket that contains cleaning supplies. Thanks for the info.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
The bow tank may also be a little higher than the other two. I'm not sure, and the boat is closed up for the year.