• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

shaft seal and shaft coupling

Special K

Member II
I am thinking about replacing the stuffing box on my E28 with a dripless seal. I was looking for advice from people who have been there before. I am also wondering if a flexible shaft coupling would be a worthwhile investment while everything is being pulled apart. Comments are definately appreciated.

jmcpeak

Junior Viking
I replaced my dripping stuffing box with a PSS. Great - no leaks at all.

Hardest part of the job was getting the SS shaft and the coupling apart. The two metals usually "cold welded" together.

I used a steering wheel puller "in reverse" to pull them apart. Hard to describe and I never took a picture. There is very little room between the engine and the end of the coupling to work.

I bought a digital calipers on eBay for $30 to make sure I had all the right shaft and tube diameters.

Follow the directions closely and it should go well.

Bob Robertson

Member III
Dripless shaft packing

Hi,

Does anyone have experience with or knowledge of GFO® fiber dripless shaft packing.

Copied from their web site: GFO® fiber dripless shaft packing is a braided propeller and rudder shaft packing that you can install and forget about. After 15 years of successfully handling demanding industrial pump applications, it's now proving itself in the marine field, too. It's already being used by the US Navy and Coast Guard and many commercial work and fishing fleets. And, it's approved by the American Bureau of Shipping.

http://www.emarineinc.com/products/gfopacking/packing.html

Thanks,
Bob