• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fuel consumption on E-35 MKIII Universal?

I just purchased an E-35 MK III which has the Universal model 25 diesel. I'm planning to sail her from the west coast of Florida to her new home on the east coast of Florida, so I want to get an idea of what kind of fuel consumption to expect when motoring.

I know there are many variables to affect fuel consumption, such as engine rpm, weather conditions, etc., so let's just say no major headwind, and a moderate 2,000 rpm.

Alan

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Alan,

My E-33 with the same engine will cruise in those conditions at about six knots and will use about 3/4 gallon per hour. Your E-35 is a bit heavier than my 33 (9600#s plus gear & contents), so yours may vary a bit.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Alan, Depending on the year your hull was built, your Universal might be an M25 (21 hp) or an M25XP (23).
The later should cruise at 2400 to 2600 rpm per the factory manual.
Ours does, and burns between 1/2 and 3/4 gallon per hour depending on chop.
We are, OTOH, a lighter hull with less wetted surface.

That maintains a steady 6.5 kt speed. With a clean bottom we can do 7.2, at about 3K rpm.

Loren

Loren,

My E-35 MK III is a 1987 model, but according to the previous owner, it is a 27 hp Universal model 25. Let's just say he is mistaken and assume it is a model 25XP (23-hp) engine.

Now then...can anyone who owns this model of Ericson 35 offer their input on fuel consumption? Thanks!

Alan
Alan, Depending on the year your hull was built, your Universal might be an M25 (21 hp) or an M25XP (23).
The later should cruise at 2400 to 2600 rpm per the factory manual.
Ours does, and burns between 1/2 and 3/4 gallon per hour depending on chop.
We are, OTOH, a lighter hull with less wetted surface.

That maintains a steady 6.5 kt speed. With a clean bottom we can do 7.2, at about 3K rpm.

Loren

Seth

Sustaining Partner
3/4 is very close to reality

I would "flight plan" for 1 GPH, and you will always have some reserve. Although 3/4 may be closer in the "example" of 2000 rpm, flat water, if you are trying to plan a real world trip, use 1 GPH and you will never be disappointed. Trying to fine tune a potential .25 gph is not smart.

Over 8 hours, you are talking about 2 gallons-do you really want to cut it that close?

Have a great trip!

S

Steve

Member III
Same

We have the Universal 5424 model (24hp) on our 84 e35-3 a bit heavier then the M25, I would say 3/4 gal per hour is about right.

Steve