• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

wanted: Ericson 37

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
While we all would surely hate for you to Baltic on us there is no such thing as an Ericson 37 to my knowledge. Did you mean a 36 or 38?

Sailsteve

Yes Virginia, there is an Ericson 37...

Contrary to that earlier posting the E-37 does indeed exist...
It was built in the early 1970's and was a really nice looking boat.

Here's the link to the docs....

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Rallytruck

Although not many, there is indeed an Ericson 37. -70's built. Two of them are here in Calif. I raced for years on Conception. The other, once owned by another friend was called Impetuous. Was bought out of Marina Del Rey, CA in 1991-ish, and taken up north somewhere.

Both are awesome vessels! Steve (Conception) will never give up his yacht, so my sights are on Impetuous. -anyone??

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Like hunting for a Yeti

Back in the early 90's, a friend of mine was on the road shopping for a bigger sailboat. He calls me from San Diego and asks me what I know about an "Ericson 33." I tell him that there is no such thing.
He still owns that Ericson and never lets me forget that comment.

** Hint: it is on the splash screen rotation for this site, two different pictures!

Loren

(Advice given for free nowadays due to the recession)
:esad:

Guy Stevens

37 -39 -46

You might try looking at a 39, two feet bigger, sails much the same, and is easier to find. I used to think that Bruce used a photocopier to make the plans for them start with the 37 hit the 25% button get a 39, hit the enlarge 200% button and get a 46. :egrin: :egrin: :egrin:

Guy
:)

Rallytruck

I seriously was looking at a 39B a few years back. -back when you couldn't find a slip in So Cal for a 39. There are some characteristic of both the 39 & 39B that I like and/or dislike. The 37 seems to have (d) all the above.

39B:
PROS
-Looks like a traditional Ericson with a trunk cabin.
-2 state rooms.
-2 heads.
-Engine in the center.
-tons of storage. (Good and bad; weight means slow)
-lots of other stuff.

CONS
-No pilot berths like the 37.
-Nav station is out of sight from the cockpit. (Good and bad; protected from weather but can't see important electronics)
-Not crazy about the center cockpit wheel. The 37 that I'm familiar with has an aft 4' wheel. This is a lot easier on the neck when watching sails. Also makes it nice for singlehand.

39:
PROS
-Flat deck is nice for racing, and sail/sheet control.
Ummmm..that's it!

CONS
I guess this model just doesn't appeal to me, so I won't bash it!

------------------------------------------------------------------

E37:
PROS
-Love the trunk cabin!
-Love the aft engine design!
-Love the upper pilot berths! (my favorite sleeping arrangement)
-Love the pullout midberths!
-Love the dual aft berths!
-Love the chart table at the bottom of the stairs.
-Being a 1 ton racer, it scares the crap out of those Catalina type vessels. It will cut them in half if not given right of way. -been proven! Ooops!
-Full length cabin makes for folding sails underway, very easy.
-Tons of options for sail configuring. We once ran 4 sails at one time; Main, Spinnaker, (2) Bloopers. That was a sight, and a handful.
-3000lbs lighter than a boat that is only 2' longer.:egrin:

CONS
-Takes a bit of wind to get the ol' broad moving.
-The transom is pretty high off the water. -tough to get back on the vessel without a ladder. Plus this takes away from the waterline.
-most came with an Atomic 4. Universal makes a direct diesel swap.

Could go on and on, but really you would have to see the yacht to understand.

-

stillwater

Member II
Every Boat has their Day

All of these boats (37,39, 39B, 46) are of similar shape and sailing characteristics; they have different layouts and pros and cons. None are really competitive anymore, especially downwind; granted they are still very fast upwind.

I sail an early 39 because it is strong, fast, easy to sail, a great cruiser and liveaboard for two people, easy and simple to work on, cheap to buy, and by and large built like a yacht should be. But, no boat is perfect.

If you haven't sailed and cruised a 39 it's hard to put the satisfaction and value into words and numbers. It just does most things right.

Dal Farias
"Stillwater"

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
E37 For Sale in SF Bay Area

I noticed this ad this morning on Latitude 38:

http://latitude38.com/classifieds/classy_display.lasso?cat=36

37-FT ERICSON SLOOP, 1974
Alameda Marina Village $Best offer subject to acceptance

Many upgrades. Yanmar diesel. Less than 300 hours. Regularly serviced. Restepped mast. Bottom plate replaced by Svensons with space age materials. Standing and running rigging replaced. New roller furling. Life lines replaced. Wheel, wind knot meter and depth meter. All records of purchase and service. Upwind berth. Boat has been sailed as a day sailor.
Email (408) 354-6960 or (408 ) 981-3779
07/18/2011

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
You might try looking at a 39, two feet bigger, sails much the same, and is easier to find. I used to think that Bruce used a photocopier to make the plans for them start with the 37 hit the 25% button get a 39, hit the enlarge 200% button and get a 46. :egrin: :egrin: :egrin:

Guy
:)

Actually, the 39 was designed first, then the 46, and the 37 came some time after. The 37 was designed specifically for the 1 ton cup. My dad purchased hull no. 1 off the line, and campaigned her locally as a "factory" boat for a couple of years. She was a fun boat to sail and fast for her time, but for live aboard cruising, I'd take a 39 any day.

CaptDan

Member III
If you haven't sailed and cruised a 39 it's hard to put the satisfaction and value into words

I had opportunity to daysail on a gent's fine 39 a few years ago at a PacNorwest Rendevous. The feel of the boat was steady with a seakindly motion. The visibility forward was terrific; the sense of stability and surefootedness very pleasant. And I think they look great too; reminds somewhat of one of my all time favorite flush deck classics - SS's venerable schooner - 'Santana.'

A superb, timeless yacht, IMO.

Capt Dan G> E35II "Kunu"

Last edited:

Fboutelle

Although not many, there is indeed an Ericson 37. -70's built. Two of them are here in Calif. I raced for years on Conception. The other, once owned by another friend was called Impetuous. Was bought out of Marina Del Rey, CA in 1991-ish, and taken up north somewhere.

Both are awesome vessels! Steve (Conception) will never give up his yacht, so my sights are on Impetuous. -anyone??

I also have an 1974 37’ Ericson. So makes three in Southern California.

Attachments

• 1DA5863A-224D-4C09-BFE2-E4723BD34007.jpg
    1DA5863A-224D-4C09-BFE2-E4723BD34007.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
^^^ beautiful boat!

I've always loved the flush/blister-deck design of the 37 and the original 34. sexy!

Bruce

Impetuous

Here is E37 Impetuous

Maybe too long after the fact but here is Impetuous in San Francisco Bay. We sail her doublehanded mostly, every Saturday. Do some coastal stuff and occasionally race. Still strong after all those years and looking good. We know of one other E37 in the Bay that is active.

Impetuous.jpg

the new guy

Good day everyone.
Sorry to bring back such an old thread
my first post on here and if you folks don't mind me asking.
I'm looking at Ericson 37. I know nothing about it, What are the things to look for in this model?
What are the most common problems?
Thanks in advance

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Good day everyone.
Sorry to bring back such an old thread
my first post on here and if you folks don't mind me asking.
I'm looking at Ericson 37. I know nothing about it, What are the things to look for in this model?
What are the most common problems?
Thanks in advance
Are you looking at a specific Ericson 37 or are you looking in general?

If you have a specific boat you are considering, the best way to get help is to post some pictures and invite comment.

Other than that, most old boats have old boat problems related to a lack of use and maintenance.

Things leak, corrode, wear out. I'm not sure if there are common problems as this is not a common boat.