• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Shaft Packing Gland Nut Size

TorMar

Member II
Our boat is a 1989 E-34 with a one inch prop shaft. What is the size of 'thin' special wrench I need to get to work on the packing gland to loosen the retaining nut and adjust the gland to reduce drip?? I have several big pipe wrenches, but don't want to use them on the nut.

I'm 250 miles away from marina and would like to buy the wrench before going to the Marina. Knowing the size would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Tor

jgarmin098

Member II
I know I might get some guff for this but... I use two LARGE channel lock pliers to free mine. First time I did use lots of Liquid Wrench repeatedly applied over a few days before I went at it. "Yes, she's a b*tch but she does what I want if I'm patient."

Rhynie

Member III
Tor
You might look in the plumbing supply at big box stores; I'm not sure of the name of the wrench, but it is aluminum with sort of a square head. It has a center adjustment and both sides/jaws move. It will open to about 3 1/2 inches and would work well if you can't determine exact size of the one you need.

Chris A.

Member III
1 7/8"

I measured 1 7/8" at the end of the jaws. About 1/32" wider at the bottom of the jaws.

Cheers,

TorMar

Member II
I measured 1 7/8" at the end of the jaws. About 1/32" wider at the bottom of the jaws.

Cheers,

Perfect. I'll get a 1 7/8" wrench before I go down to the boat. I'll also take a pipe wrench to hold the body of the gland, as well as an adjustable wrench I have that will open to 2 1/4".

I'll wrap the fitting with a cloth which I'll keep soaking with vinegar to loosen the 'green' oxide and salt crust for a day or so, and then I'll work at 'cracking' the lock nut so I can tighten the gland. I have zero drip while shaft is stationary, but 50 to 60 per minute when shaft is spinning. I understand that tightening will be in very small segments.

Thanks all for all the suggestions, and you Chris, for the actual nut size.

Tor

ps. My wife retired at the end of January, so we're looking forward to getting way more sailing time starting this year. :)

TorMar

Member II
Measured mine yesterday. On my 1" shaft the packing nut is 2", the lock nut is 1.75".

Thank you all for your help. I got a narrow wrench that is adjustable from 0 to 2 1/4 inches. It is a very old wrench I found in my father's tool box - very solid steel, with a short handle - perfect for this job.

Tor

P Abele

Member II
This a project I am looking to take on this spring on our boat, but in loking at packing which is available, what size packing is right for our E33? (Universal M25 with 1" shaft). I was surprised to see so many options online.