• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Motor dead

Timmy Z

My atomic 4 is dead. I really want to replace it with a outboard. I mainly day sail.... a few days on Catalina, that sort of sailing. My question, is a 7.5 hp too small for a E-27?

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
7.5 should be fine. My E27 had an Atomic 4 that died before I bought it. The previous owner installed a 6hp outboard on an outboard bracket. It was enough power but in any serious chop the prop would come out of the water then the motor head would go underwater. Yikes!

For more money you can get an Atomic 4 drop-in replacement Electric motor and be done with gas fumes, noise and smoke :). You would also likely have to replace your prop, the A4 prop is probably too small. What a wonderful transition going electric has been. A 27 foot sailboat is a good size to do an electric repower.

Motor replacement

Hi,

I replaced the outboard on my 1973 E-27 several years ago. What I replaced was a 18-hp Tohatsu two-stroke. What I put on in its place is a Honda 9.5 four-stroke. It's perfect. I have owned my boat since 1976, so I have been through a few engines.
The Honda was enough power for the bad times, carries an alternator that will charge up the batteries quickly, is quiet and is also very dependable. It is electric start. Wouldn't have an engine without that feature.
Because this 9.5 Honda comes out of the box with a long shaft and all the amenities that you might need, there is no earthly reason to go a couple of horses lower is save money.
I used to carry 12 gallons of gas with the Tohatsu. With the Honda I carry just five, in two 2-1/2 gallon tanks. I may fill the tanks a couple of times a year.
Bar none, this is the best engine for the job. My E-27 came from the factory with a cutout for an outboard, so it's mounted on the centerline. There was a time when I thought not having an inboard was too bad, but this engine, with its low maintenance, myriad capabilities and no drag is the answer to all your prayers. If you have one of these, you'll never look back.
Guaranteed.
Morgan Stinemetz

Timmy Z

Thank you for the input. I think I'll proceed with the 7.5. If I find that it isn't big enough, I can always move up. I almost hate to say this but I have a 50 hp on my sailboat (Macgregor) now and it's been great having a big motor. It's been a good boat but I needed to move up to a real sailboat. I've been restoring this girl for a year now and been putting off the motor issue. I plan on using the existing tank, if it test okay, I'll post pictures as I go.

Thanks again

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
If I were going to put a Outboard on my E-27 I would think about a little more HP than 7.5. 9.9's are found more commonly on boats the size of E-27's. Also get the longest shaft possible and the strongest mount you can find. I was out this last Saturday and I saw a Cal 27 with a 15 hp Honda OB under power moving at a real good clip. Made me think an OB's not a bad way to go. Most OB's have 3 blades that really dig in.

I would be a bit concerned about how it might get swamped in big swells and rough conditions. Even my inboard 8 hp Yanmar is a bit under powered at times.

CWM

Chuck
>> I was out this last Saturday and I saw a Cal 27 with a 15 hp Honda OB under power moving at a real good clip

Jeff:

Weight of the outboard motor is an issue re: transom backing plate.
My new Mercury 8 HP long shaft weighs about 80 lbs.
I did a minimal backing plate.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
This is Green Card, Nigel's boat. I think he has a 9.9 Honda here. I wonder if following seas are a issue with a cut out transom like this?

:esad:

Attachments

• local_resize.jpg
    local_resize.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 59

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We owned a similar size sloop (26'8" X 8'4" X 4' X 4000# displ.) for a decade with an outboard in a transom cutout. It is actually a lot better than having the engine sticking out on a bracket. Any sea from astern will lift the stern and also the motor when/if the motor is very close to the transom. If back behind the transom the sea will partly engulf the engine before stern reserve buoyancy can lift it up.

Also, I would not want less than a ten hp "high thrust" four stroke. Note that only the Yamaha has such an engine, for displacement hulls only, with a 3 to 1 reduction gear. This special Yamaha comes in a 25" version.
An 8 hp might possibly do, depending on how much money could be saved...

Loren

Last edited:

steven

Sustaining Member
Formerly owned a Hunter 27. Replaced 8hp diesel with Yamaha 9.9FT - high thrust, extra 25" long shaft, four stroke, electric start, ignition and throttle/shift led to the cockpit (used the old diesel throttle/shift control).

Worked really well. Pushed the boat fine where the diesel would have been useless. Found it reliable, quiet. Got rid of two holes in the hull. Reduced weight.

No stern cutout, so used a bracket with a (really) big ss backing plate. A lot of torsion stress can be put on stern where the bracket attaches.

Used on Chesapeake and ICW - no experience with it in serious seaway.

HughHarv

Hugh
outboard theft a problem

There can be a problem with outboard theft vs inboard propulsion that you might want to consider. That shiny new outboard will be hanging out there for any thief to inspect during the day and retrieve at night.

Every few years the patrons of the local marina are robbed of their outboards. The theives tend to pass on rough looking engines, so get a good outboard lock. However, on one nice Honda 9.9 that was locked on the scoundrels hacksawed off the transom mounting bolts and took the mount and all.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Same everywhere

There can be a problem with outboard theft vs inboard propulsion that you might want to consider. That shiny new outboard will be hanging out there for any thief to inspect during the day and retrieve at night.
Every few years the patrons of the local marina are robbed of their outboards. The theives tend to pass on rough looking engines, so get a good outboard lock. However, on one nice Honda 9.9 that was locked on the scoundrels hacksawed off the transom mounting bolts and took the mount and all.

True around here, also. It only happens about once a decade, but when it does a bunch of outboards will be stolen at night from marinas all along the same area. The Sheriff figures that it's usually motors being "stolen to order." I hear Honda mentioned the most. Last time it happened they took a new Honda 10 LS, and cut the lock off, in our club moorage (not that far from the resident's house!).
What with everyone having silent electric trolling motors, "stealth stealing" is not too difficult. Heck, they probably swiped the trolling motor and battery, too!:rolleyes:

Go with the cut-proof chain and a really good lock. At least then they may pick an easier target elsewhere...

LB

Last edited:

steven

Sustaining Member
My first Yamaha 9.9 was stolen. Same as the experience described by others - every O/B in the marina was taken. Plus, the same night hit three other marinas in the area. Cut the cables and the bracket. Sheriff said they were probably in and out of the marina in 10 or 15 minutes. Insurance company bought me new engine (less deductible). I put a better lock system on the new one, but I don't think that really protected it from the pros.