• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

ericson 25 questions

wolly bugger

Member II
Hi all, a friend let me use his boat (drascomb drifter 21.5) for the last 3 years in exchange for some help on the maintenance. That was perfect to give my wife and I a chance to go sailing, and needless to say, give me the sailing bug. We now have twins and need some extra room. I found an ericson 25 1978 with center board for sale on alaska craigslist, you can see it here: http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1025338089.html . The boat is about 5hrs drive away and I don't have time to make the drive too many times. If anyone that has experience with this model could let me know what to look for when I inspect the boat - it will be very much appreciated.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Great little boats

They are really nice little boats. Key areas for damage are the c-board and rudder-both of which can be repaired/replaced-sources for both have been posted here.

Good luck!

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
E25 Cb

Wolly~

As stated areas to look at are the board and rudder. Also chainplates and bulkheads and solidness of the deck.. You have my email if you want more info.

Attachments

• boat pictures 045.jpg
    boat pictures 045.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 270
  • boat pictures 083.jpg
    boat pictures 083.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 126
  • cb pics 004.jpg
    cb pics 004.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 141
  • cb pics 002.jpg
    cb pics 002.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 116

wolly bugger

Member II
ericson 25

Hi. It might be obvious when I'm looking at it but I was wondering how easy it is to inspect the CB with the boat on the trailer? I'm in Alaska so the option of diving under the boat while afloat is not really appealing to me.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
E25 Cb

Wolly~

There is no way to inspect it on a trailer while the board is retracted. The main thing about the centerboard that you should look for is that "the board is actually there". If its "there" it is no big deal if it needs repairs. Here are the pictures of all that you will see unless you have the boat lifted off the trailer.

Attachments

• 2004_0604Image0004.jpg
    2004_0604Image0004.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Mast Pictures 009.jpg
    Mast Pictures 009.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Mast Pictures 010.jpg
    Mast Pictures 010.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 87
  • boat pictures 024.jpg
    boat pictures 024.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 99

wolly bugger

Member II
E 25 cb mast support

I talked to the owner and the boat seems to be in pretty good shape. I still have to make the drive down to have a closer look at it, so if I don't find anything majorly wrong, I am planning to buy it.:egrin:

The present owner has never had to take the mast down. It dosen't seem to be the hardest thing to do, but if anyone has any advice, it would be helpful. My biggest question is how do I transport the mast once I take it down? I would like to inspect the boat and bring it back in the same day. This means 9 to 10 hrs of driving time, plus a coupe hours to inspect everything, and another couple hours getting it all ready for the drive back. Once the boat is home, I will have to plenty of time to rig something more permanent but if someone has a quick and easy way to rig a mast support, please let me know or send some pictures.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Planning and Caution

If the mast base has a hinge pin, you will lower it (i.e. pivot it) towards the pin side...
A gin pole is almost a requirement for a spar on this size boat, but I imagine that three tall and strong guys could do it "Suribachi style" if you are real careful. I have done this twice on my old 26 footer, with the spinnaker pole for a gin pole and with stays both sides. We were cautious and had no scares... but we spend some time setting it up first.
You will want some padded saw horses on bow and stern to rest it on, and pad the the feet to protect the deck as well as padding the top.

If you "free hand" it, note that once it gets below about 45 degrees it tries to really obey the law -- of gravity.

This should be a lot shorter spar than the 34 footer on my old fractional rig boat, so it should be easier for you.

One pitfall for first timers is what happens to stuff mounted on the mast when it is near horizontal -- figure out first where the gooseneck and spreaders will land, and also any masthead stuff like that $60 wind vane. Some fat padding on the main hatch may be needed if it lowers aft.

Good luck,
Loren

Last edited:

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
To transport the mast is very simple on this boat all you need is two boat cushions and plenty of rope. Place the base of the mast on the bow pulpit and the middle on the traveler above the companionway and raise the rudder and tie off to the starboard side and place the top of the mast there. It works perfect. The mast is perfectly supported. Place boat cushions or foam as needed. Use Saran wrap to wrap the shrouds and halyards. I wish I had a picture of this, but it works great!

Attachments

• boat pictures 067.jpg
    boat pictures 067.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 1,357
Last edited:

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
FWIW, it takes four people to raise the mast on this boat if you dont have a hinged mast. My advice is to pay the yard to take it down for you. It costs me $80 for the use of the travel lift boom. Its worth every penny. Another person is needed if you have a foiled furler to walk it to the front. Its tricky and clumbsy and a heavy telephone pole! Without having an expierenced person and a well communicated plan. I would not attempt this.

Last edited:

wolly bugger

Member II
ericson 25 CB new owner

Hi, first I want to thanks you all for your help. I finally had time to go look at the boat. After spending a couple hrs looking at every corner of the boat I decided to trade his boat for one of my check. He is now the proud owner of my money and i am the proud owner of an ericson 25 CB.:egrin:

I'm sure you will hear from me with my many question in the next few weeks.

Thanks again
Stephan

E 25

FWIW it takes two guys to get my hinged mast up ( Suribatchi style). I have Doug (a shorter mesomorphic type) nearest the mast and me ( 6'4" and shrinking) behind him. A third pearson, if you have one but not needed,, to attach the back stay.

Fair winds,

Chad

Last edited: