• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Spreader Boots

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Anyone have any experience with this product:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|118|107602|297680&id=214174

Looks like it might be easier to deal with than the Edson style leather boots that have to be stitched up. And they are cheaper.

Three sizes: 1" dia., 1.5" dia. and 2.5" x 1" oval.

What size do you think I would need for an Ericson 30+? Not sure what the sizes of the two sets of spreaders actually are.

Attachments

• SpreaderBoot.jpg
    SpreaderBoot.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 406

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I've used Harry's boots for years too. They last many mast raising/lowering cycles, which I seem to do only every 5-6 years if I can help it.

The tape you have to use to hold the boots on does not always last as long, though. However, as it fails, it fails gradually, and you have lots of time to get back up there and retape.

I wonder how UV-resistant the buckles are on mherrcat's boots. if they fail it looks like the boot would be "gone with the wind."

Rhynie

Member III
A spreader tip that has worked for years for me. Cut a strip from an old fender, or new one, maybe about 1 1/2 wide and 8 inches long (depending on the size of the spreader end), fold it around the tip of the spreader and then use a (smallest that will fit around spreader) SS hose clamp (like the strap & buckle) to hold it in place). Simple, cheap, and works well.

Dan Callen

Contributing Member III
I have these on my boat and I am very satisfied with their endurance and would highly recommend them. My boat is on a lake in Tennessee where the uv's will destroy almost anything. I have had these on my spreaders for at least 6 or 7 years with no sign of deterioration. They are much much better than the plastic boots you have to tape on. Hope this helps. Dan Callen Ericson 32-3 Andiamo.

Brian K

Member III
I've searched all over for new spreader boots for my E-32-200. My spreaders measure 2 3/4" wide. The large West Marine boots are too big, and the medium are too small. I ended up with the large from C R Marine. They also are a little too small and I will have a 1/2" to 1/4" gap when installed. Certainly no one is going to see that and they perform their function, but it would be nice to someday find the perfect size. Here is the link to the ones I bought.
http://www.customrubbercorp.com/spreader.htm

Jon Anton

Used the largest size on my 32-200, and they are now on the fifth year. I was just up the mast and they are still in good shape. Not hard to put on even when you are dangling in a chair. Recommended product.

Jon

Jon Anton

I can't remember the actual manufacturer's name, but they look just like CR Marine ones pictured on the Defender link in the first thread of this posting. The straps on mine were black as opposed to white.
Hope this helps.
Jon

Mindscape

Member III
Product description for the boots at the start of the thread

Protect sails from chafing or tearing on spreaders
Fit better than other products on the market.
Uv-resistant buckle system makes installation quick, simple and secure.
Foam inner cushion provides extra protection for your sails.
Polyester textile will not deteriorate in the sun.

Copied from the defender site - this was the product description - says the buckles are U resistant and based on experience of a couple of people here sounds like they might be worth a try.

Jon - did you use them on both upper and lower spreaders, same size??

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I ordered the ones from Defender yesterday. I got the large size, 2.5" x 1" oval, for both the upper and lower spreaders. Hope they work!

Jon Anton

Yes, I used the same size on upper and lower spreaders. The spreaders are very close in actual size, and my wife fitted them all in short order.
Use a wooden tongue depresser, (Wide popsicle stick, narrow putty knife or similar device) to insert the tail of the webbing strap back into the boot slit to keep it from slapping in the wind if it blows hard. I think the instructions mentions this as well.
Good luck!
Jon