• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacement cockpit coaming box for E35-3

cruis-n

Member II
The cockpit coaming box on my E35-3 has started to deteroriate. It looks like it was made of some sort of plastic and is securely glassed into the cockpit wall. Over the years, winch handles and other parts & pieces have managed to break out several chunks of plastic in the back of the box.

Has anyone successfully repaired the box in place? I saw a note on the Pacific Seacraft site where someone was discussing removing the box and using it as a plug to make a new one out of glass. Unfortunately there were not any additional details on how the box was removed or reattached. I looked at the back side of the existing box and it looks like it's pretty well glassed in there. I don't want to cut it out, as it would be difficult to get a good fit that wouldn't leak when I reinstalled the replacement.

My plan at this point (unless some has a better plan) is to remove the wooden trim ring and mask off the area. I figured I could put in two or three layers of chopped glass matt and then finish it with low density filler and then paint it. Of course this leaves the original box in place.

Pros or cons of this plan, let's hear them!

cruis-n

Ray Rhode

Member III
Since no one else has spoken up I'll tell you what I did on Journey. I cut the box out and installed the Coaming Box made by Sailing Specialities. It's shown on page 891 of the West catalog. It worked well with only two small glitches. The coaming has a light curve and the box is made for a straight surface. I used silicone sealant and tightened the top row of screws first. It worked reasonably well. Then, the lower surface is slopped away from the inboard edge so that rain water collects in the box. I drilled a drain hole in the aft outboard corner and ran a small drain line to the aft end of the seat. I also cut holes in the top of the box and installed grills over the holes. This provides some ventilation for the battery charger and Cold Machine which are located in the locker.

Ray

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
It seems to me that when I was working on my heater (mounted up inside the cockpit combing) I noticed that it's screwed on from the inside. If you sit down in your saillocker and twist your head around enough :D you should be able to see it and unscrew it.

Then just use it as a mold and build a nice new one with glass. There's a really fun article on molding glass to shapes just like that in Don Casey's book on Deck Repair (West Systems also has a nice book you can get for $10 or so at West Marine).

My pocket is cracked - so I'm planning on pulling it out and glassing it over...

Good Luck!
//sse

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Nice timing, Ray... :D So, you're telling me that thing is glassed on???

//sse

Ray Rhode

Member III
Sean.

As I recall it was glassed in. After I pulled the wood trim off I couldn't see any other way. I can't twist my head the way you did, but as I recall there were no screws holding it on. The coaming box comes with a template for cutting the hole in the coaming and it is a very nice fit.

Ray

u079721

Contributing Partner
The box on my E-38 (1989) is glassed in place with 3" wide tabs. When the box began to leak water into the lazarette below I caulked the inside with 5200, drilled a new drain hole so it wouldn't retain water, and applied 3 layers of new glass over the old. Hasn't leaked a drop since.

If I had to replace it I would just use the old one as a mold and make a new one of glass. Then just glass the new one in with tabs - which would be leak proof if done well. The old one leaked because you can't really bond polyethylene to glass.