• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cabin Headliner Replacement

erikwfab

Member II
I am going to replace the foam backed vinyl headliner in my 1976 36C. i desire a more traditional look, as well as a material that doesnt absorb water, can be removed and replaced easily. does anyone have any ideas?
i was thinking of a synthetic white bead board in 4'x8' sheets that could be cut in strips to fit between the mahogony deck beams.

sailor11767

Member II
Wow. Oh wow. That's incredible! Your headliner is just out of this world. It sounds easy -- is it? (yes, I know, any one weekend job takes a month of weekends to actually do!) In addition to plywood, which works well and allows us to paint it any color, I've looked at a plastic panel available at the home centers. It is solid white, with a textured surface, that would of course be impervious to water. I worry it's too shiny, a matte finish would be good, but I really like the solid plastic concept.

Harry
E35/II Wannabe

boethius27

Member II
Thanks for the compliments.

Easy?... yeah, for the most part. It was mostly time consuming because of the fact that we were living aboard while doing it. So it was done a couple sections at a time over a period of many different weekends.

I got "foam board" from a craft store for about 2 dollars a piece (I think they are about 2'x3' each. Using duct tape and pushpins I cut them out to fit the whole headliner, then took them down section by section and used them as templates for the plywood. In the end there were only a few small mistakes, but they were all coverable by trim.

I had initially thought of doing the plastic panels too, but enough people in the marina told me not too because it needs to breath condensation out of itself or it will mold between the deck and the plastic. I'm not sure how true that is (sounds true) or how much the wood will help with such a problem, but I figured wood was more tried and true.

jmcpeak

Junior Viking
I replaced the headliner in my 35II, but it doesn't sound like ours are set up quite the same. There are a couple of pics here: http://thefitzcarraldo.blogspot.com/2008/08/old-new.html

I just used 1/8 inch marine grade plywood, painted it, and altered the battens and trim a bit (used to be a vinyl liner)

cheers,
Justin

How did you remove the hand rails? I can't find a plug to drill out in the wood and nothing is of course on deck...

boethius27

Member II
My handrails were already down when I bought the boat. There were plugs though with 2.5 inch bolts that went into original factory placed molded blocks.

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Interior Grab Rails

How did you remove the hand rails? I can't find a plug to drill out in the wood and nothing is of course on deck...

Maybe you'll just have to look a little closer, there have to be bungs there to cover the fasteners from underneath.

Erik,
Just noted you refer to deck beams? The I 31 isn't built that way, the battens overtop the vinyl only give the appearance of beams, when what they accomplish is a cover strip for staples!
Remove bungs, remove screws and voila" staples, and lots of em!

Last edited: