• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Plumbing

mstone

sink drain

I also have a 73-25, the original setup appears to have gone out a thru-hull, then has been changed to a rather wierd combo drain taking the icebox drain and the sink drain together into the rear bilge. Still haven't decided what I'm going to do about it yet. Let me know if you come up with some alternative. I'm a big fan of cutting down on the number of thru-hulls. Nothing but trouble -eventually. thanx Mike

fafeagin1

Plumbing !!

Well that sounds like what I thought. I guess I hook the sink and the icebox drain to the same thru hull fitting. Right now its always turned off. I guess the drain is above the water line if the lake is calm. I'll find out. The idea of draining it into my bilge won't happen. Besides I have no bilge pump either, Guess I'll add one of those too. Any thoughts from anyone ?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
To Drain or Not to Drain...

Our boat came from the factory with the ice box draining into the bilge. Poor idea. The cold air in the box also flows down into the bilge; then the ice melts even faster. There is the additional problem of occasional food/beverage residue helping to cause the growth of "things that smell bad" in the bilge...

I kept a hose attached to the ice box drain fitting, and put a plastic ball valve at the end of it. Whenever the ice melt builds up a bit we pull the hose and valve out from under the galley sink area and drain the water into a pan and pour it down the sink (or, alternatively, boil it for rinse water for doing the dishes).

Our sink does drain to a thruhull with a seacock, directly under the sink. You sure would not want that "gray water" going into your bilge!
:rolleyes:

Loren in Portland, OR

Last edited:

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
I have a 1967 E-26. The set up is the same as Loren's. My sink goes out thru the hull and the ice box drains to the cabin floor and finds its way to the bilge. We obviously didn't like the way it drained so we stopped using it all together. We have an electric refrigerator that keeps things cold for the weekend outings we go on. But we have never gone for more than a day or so without shore power so I haven't paid much attention to the ice box. I thought about hooking it to the sink drain but that seemed like too much work because I would have to remove the small refrigerator under the stove in order to accomidate the plumbing. I really like Loren's idea of attaching the plastic ball valve to the end of the drain with a piece of hose extention to capture the water as needed to control the melt level in the ice box.
I think I will put that on my to do list for weekend projects.

fafeagin1

Ice Box Drain

Good information, Now I can go with that ! Your ballvalve and hose is a great Idea!!!!:D :D :D :egrin: :egrin:

Thanks for all the great input. I had a Hunter 23.5 before but I love my Ericson 100% more than the old newer boat. Now I've got to come up with a name for her.

Thanks all
Fred:egrin: :egrin: :egrin: :egrin:

paul lasker

forget about the drains and us dry ice. it evaporates into the air. we have a 27 ericson and when we head out the the gate for a few days we use dry ice.

Robert Mann

Member I
My E26 also has the sink drain attached t a through hull and the ice box draining to the bilge. West Marine has a Y fitting for garden hose that has shut offs in both of the Y arms. They also have fittings from the garden hose size to regular barbed fittings. I installed this in the supply line to the faucet and we now use the faucet to pump out the ice box by using the shut offs in the Y arms to isolate the fresh water inlet to the faucet.

Bob Mann

rhoward

e26 interior modifications

Listen folks, I have just bought this boat. New to everthing about boats but fell in love with this '66. Give me any ideas you have about getting her back up to par.Rhoward(the new guy)