• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1985 E32-3 Portlight (bomar)

ruiv

1985 E32-III ~La Barca
I purchased my Ericson last fall, it's time to some updates and there are 4 portlights (bomar model N3410 - pictures attached) that have crazed acrylic/glass, they do not leak therefore I'm interested in replacing the acrylic/glass only since it is the only problem. However Bomar only has replacement units which are very expensive also besides being more expensive it would turn this simple task of replacing the glass/acrylic into a project by having to remove existing portlights and preparing (cleaning, sealing, etc.) for the new ones. Does anyone know where to get this type of portlight acrylic/glass elsewhere? Thanks for advice in advance, crazed in connecticut.
:mad:
Rui

Attachments

• portlight_inside.jpg
    portlight_inside.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 209
  • portlight_outside.jpg
    portlight_outside.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 205

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Welcome ruiv, I have done this job(replacing the entire portlight) twice on my '85 35-3 and it is not really that difficult. You should be able to get Bomar to sell them to you for about $200 ea. The problem with only replacing the acrylic is that the frame is pressed on the material which does not lend itself to easy replacement. Another thing I found was that even though it appeared as though only one of my portlights were leaking, 5 of them showed signs of leaking once I had them removed. The water just had not made it all the way into the cabin but the plywood had some rot in it. Like most boat projects, starting one will uncover 3 more.

Where do you keep your boat? Your profile is kinda sparse.

BTW, if you are wondering why I replaced them twice, let's just say that after I did it once and showed Bomar the results, they suddenly changed their manufacturing process and sent me 6 replacement portlights. Now I have plenty of spare lenses.

Last edited:

ruiv

1985 E32-III ~La Barca
Tim thanks for the information, this website is a good resource for Ericson owners.
I guess if replacing is the only option hopefully it won't be as complicated as I think it is.
I'll have to work with Bomar on the price but because their list price is not anywhere near $200. How difficult was it to remove the existing portlights that had been on the boat for a while? You mentioned they changed their design? Do you mean that they are now replaceable? I'll let you know how many more projects this turns into.

I keep the boat in New London, CT.

~~~~~~
Rui V.
1985 E32-3 La Barca

treilley

Sustaining Partner
It was not too bad once I figured out the technique. I used a razor blade and tried to get between the FG and the port light. I also used some very small screwdrivers to act as wedges. Once you get a wedge and start cutting they will come out. You can buy new lenses for the newer models.

As for price, a fellow lister here told me how he told Bomar he thought it was pretty lousy that there were no spares for the older ports and that buying new ones would be difficult. At one time Bomar offered a half price upgrade but it had expired. They offered that deal to me even though it had expired. I bet they will do the same for you if pressed. They are probably hurting for sales anyhow.

clayton

Member III
32-3 portlight

Check on ebay, there are some Lewmars offered in various sizes by Lewmar Overstock in Ct for reasonable prices. You'll have to check the specs against your opening sizes and find the best match.
Clayton

ruiv

1985 E32-III ~La Barca
Check on ebay, there are some Lewmars offered in various sizes by Lewmar Overstock in Ct for reasonable prices. You'll have to check the specs against your opening sizes and find the best match.
Clayton

With the price of 1 of the Bomars I can purchase 6 of the Lewmar overstock portlights. I'll have to check and see how much work it would be to enlarge existing port holes to accommodate the Lewmar portlights and to see the quality of the Lewmars?

Thanks for the information Clayton!

Rui