• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Spinnaker or drifter for 35-2

Captain Crunch

Member II
Im looking for a used sail resource in the Vancouver/Victoria BC area. I would like to get a spin or a drifter. Any suggestions?

sailor11767

Member II
It's not local to BC, but Bacon Sails in Annapolis (BaconSails.Com) is a terrific resource for used and new sails. They do mail order, but I don't know what customs does to the deal.

Also, SailRite.Com has an innovative "do it yourself" program that is very cost competitive. I believe that the sail comes to you pre-glued (but I may be mistaken -- I know that at least the panels are pre cut) and for about double the kit price they will complete the sail for you. I probalby wouldn't buy my cutting edge racing sails from them, and maybe not even my cross-the-ocean sails from them, but I'd be mighty tempted to buy my serious-cruiser-on-a-budget sails.

I'm looking at an E-35/II that has completely trashed sails (not just sad, but trashed) and so would need to factor in a complete main/jib as part of the purchase budget, and they can give me a nice main and 155 for under $4K complete.

Good luck.

Harry
Wannabe 35/II owner
Current Lighning owner.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
$4k ?

I'm looking at an E-35/II that has completely trashed sails (not just sad, but trashed) and so would need to factor in a complete main/jib as part of the purchase budget, and they can give me a nice main and 155 for under $4K complete.

Unrequested comment: That's enough money to easily buy a new dacron Main and Genoa from UKSails, I betcha.
I confess that I have *not* rechecked prices in the last 12 months. OTOH, the material costs are somewhat oil-related, and oil prices are way down this spring...
(I would certainly get a quote from them before spending your money, and the NW loft headquarters is in Sidney.)

Loren

Last edited:

sailor11767

Member II
Loren -- that's good news. I've been accused of being so tight I squeak, so you can bet I'll check several lofts if I actually get into the buying stage. While I'm tight, I also recognize that the best value is not necessarily the cheapest price. I suspect a decent set of cruising sails, if well cared for, may be the only set I'll ever buy (or, if I need new ones, I'll have had the boat long enough I won't mind!).

But, to the topic at hand, I found the mother of all used sail (and gear) links at:
http://www.goodoldboat.com/resources_for_sailors/consignment_stores.php
They even have several listed in BC!

Cheers,

Harry

Gil Aiken

E 35 Mark II spinaker

Captain Crunch,

I have an E 35 Mark II spinaker I'm willing to sell. The spinaker is in very good condition. I live in Bellingham. You can reach me at 360-738-4106 evenings.

msc1212

Member II
I have a UK Flasher that came with the boat. It's a "classic" which means it dates to the mid 1970s. It comes with a sock. I'm not sure the previous owner used it very much. I've used it about ten times since I bought the boat three years ago. It won't win you the America Cup but it will get you downhill faster if the wind is blowing at 100-140 degrees. There's a small hole in the centre of it: complements of a mouse in my storage shed. I could have it repaired if you're interested. It would fit your boat perfectly.

Cheers

Michael