• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35II Anchor and Roller

chaco

Member III
Well.... the Dockfather and I were sittin round on a cold day havin an Ale and took a good look at the Weenie 20LB Danforth Anchor and Pathetic Factory Light Duty Roller on the Boat :cool: Figured its time for a Real OffShore Anchor and Roller. Like the 35LB CQR or Delta Plow with Custom Roller Mount with Retainer Pin...similar to Lewmar Universal. Will have a local weld shop Fab it up rather than give my kids inheritance to WM. Lets see your Anchor SetUps and Anchor War Stories :egrin:

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Dan - you may not want to change as much on your foredeck as I am doing, and I have not yet finished building it to give proper feedback, but here are my thoughts.

I have built a deck mount for a roller on the port side of the forestay. I got a reasonable deal on a standard roller; but will still need a machine shop to make it longer to avoid too much stress on the deck. To accommodate it, I will need a new pulpit with feet in different locations - I needed a new one anyway.

I have considered the extended mounts others have posted pictures of, and for many uses they look ideal; but I want to keep the weight as far aft as possible, plus I am preparing my boat for ocean passage so want as little as possible that can get ripped away.

There is room for a windlass behind the anchor to feed into the locker forward of the V berth, but I have not yet chosen which model, or if instead I would prefer to just raise by hand and feed the rode through a large deck opening.

The available size for the anchor locker will depend on the drainage arrangements, for which I see two options. The first is for one (or possibly two, to allow for blockage) 1.5" through hull(s) above the water line forward of the V-berth, with a 45 deg tailpiece(s) to a short section of hose to a drain(s) on the base of the anchor locker. The alternative, which would allow a lot more space in the locker itself, would be one 2" drain going to a through hull below the water line somewhere under the V-berth.

I know that is not a very complete answer to your question, but I hope it provides some useful food for thought.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972