• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Missing reef tack ?

Sven

Seglare
One thing that struck me as strange about Serendipity's mainsail was that there were no reef tacks. When the rigger came out to plan the standing and running rigging replacements he made the same observation. He also called the boom "substantial but crude" which we decided to take as a compliment in the "Keep It Simple Stupid" sense :)

Can anyone explain how one is supposed to reef if the reef clew and reef points are there for a first and second reef, but the reef tacks are missing ? There is even a winch on the boom to help pull down the clew, but no reef tack.

It just seems so odd that I had to ask if there is something obvious I'm overlooking ?

Thanks,

-Sven

Attachments

• Reefing.jpg
    Reefing.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 132

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One thing that struck me as strange about Serendipity's mainsail was that there were no reef tacks. When the rigger came out to plan the standing and running rigging replacements he made the same observation. He also called the boom "substantial but crude" which we decided to take as a compliment in the "Keep It Simple Stupid" sense :)

Can anyone explain how one is supposed to reef if the reef clew and reef points are there for a first and second reef, but the reef tacks are missing ? There is even a winch on the boom to help pull down the clew, but no reef tack.

It just seems so odd that I had to ask if there is something obvious I'm overlooking ?
Thanks,
-Sven

From the photo, there do not appear to be the normal overlapped reinforcing patches where each reef would be secured to the gooseneck area. Yet, there do seem to be small grommets for the reef ties, used to tidy up the loose folds of sail cloth after the new tack and clews are hauled down tight.
If the sail is in good condition in general, it looks like a trip to the sail loft is in order to have the missing layers of material sewn on and the large grommets pressed in.
I look forward to Seth's opinion of this. I am puzzled.
Loren

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
The picture is not so great but appears to me that there is a cringle there it is just not very well reinforced and does not have the "dog bones" for hooking to your reef hooks. Is that the OEM boom ?

Sven

Seglare
The picture is not so great but appears to me that there is a cringle there it is just not very well reinforced and does not have the "dog bones" for hooking to your reef hooks. Is that the OEM boom ?

That little "cringle" is actually an un-reinforced reef tie grommet, as far as I can tell.

I thought about posting a closeup but the overview would have been lost given the overall picture size limitations. A separate closeup pic might be in order.

I'm not sure if the boom is original. It sure is hefty :)

The rigger is going to redo parts when he redoes the standing rigging in a few months and we'll probably see about investing in a new main sail at the same time.

It just seemed curious to have all the attachments except the reef tack and a way of pulling it down.

Thanks,

-Sven (with the crude but substantial boom :)

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Loren is right

Hi Sven,

In fact, the sail is missing the tack and clew rings for the reef points! Sailmaker error!

Easy to fix, but you have to bring the sail in to a loft-patches need to be applied before rings are fitted.

I am surprised your rigger did not give you a clear opinion on this-it is quite obvious...

Also keep in mind that the "reef points" you see along the sail are NOT structural in any way, and normally not used at all unless you are having trouble with excessive flapping or catching water from big seas. Just remember they not designed to take any load at all and are just for "clean up" once you have completed reefing at the tack and clew...

Let me know if you need anything else!

S

Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Yep

There IS a cunn ring, but no reef rings-nothing you can do with this sail (in terms of reefing) until you have them installed..
Cheers,
S:)

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Is that an original sail? Maybe Ericson purchased them in bulk from the sailmaker with the intent to place the reinforced cringles in customized places depending on the options installed on the specific boat, and never got around to it.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
No -just a screw up

Good theory, but if that were true, why are the reef tie down points installed?

They would be useless of the actual reef rings were not located in line with them.

Also, Ericson never bought any North Sails as OEM equipment-except for the factory race programs...

Just a matter of having the sail fixed at the loft-any loft will be able to do it-so just go to your local guy.

S

Sven

Seglare
We spent some time with the rigger this past wet, windy and cold long weekend.

The mystery of the missing reef tack remains since the reef tie points and the reefing clew is there. What the rigger pointed out is that with the sail track stacking up above the boom "horns" would not work very well since they would have to reach quite high up. When the sail is flaked on the boom I can just barely reach the halyard to unsnap it which means it is almost 8 feet above the deck, just to give an idea of how the track cars (?) pile up.

We'll have to get a couple of tacks added (one for each reef) and the rigger is installing the line and a snatch block to use to pull them down.

The rigger is great and loves to talk about his work so it was a fun hour we got to spend with him in the shop.

-Sven

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Or a jackline

Hi Sven,

There is no mystery about the sail-North just forgot to inistall the rings-it happens.

Contact me off-line-I think you still have my cell # from the old days...

There are other ways to deal with the height of the boom and access-a jackline for the luff slides between the tack and first reef might work better than having a bunch of blocks and lines to pull the ring down..
Anyway-I will be happy to review it with you. If you lost my #, just PM me.
Regards,
S

Sven

Seglare
There are other ways to deal with the height of the boom and access-a jackline for the luff slides between the tack and first reef might work better than having a bunch of blocks and lines to pull the ring down.

The rigger is really competent and does quality work so I'm sure we will be happy with his solution.

One reason why we are still in San Diego is that it is positively crawling with boat people and craftsmen. It is almost like being in a candy store.

I'll post the final result when done.

-Sven