• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

First Boat Project

Brisco

Member I
The bed is a little too short so I am adding 8 inches of length. As well a cabinet cavity which will give me the area to eventually install two 12" x 30" x 6" drawers. On the top I will have a 15" X 37" counter top. Also the 8" extension for the bed is removable giving some more storage underneath.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ToddGalbraith/BoatProject?feat=directlink

I cut the bulkhead running from port to starboard a little light. This is directly under the chain plates and I do not want my 3/4 plywood affecting the natural movement of the hull. I don't want it to be so tight that it would cause rubbing against the fiberglass. Any ideas on something to place between the plywood edges and fiberglass to prevent rub wear on the sides?

Last edited:

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Edge/ corner finish

Looks like a well planned piece of work. Since you've left the new ply bulkhead slack I would suggest;
Once you've put a finish on the Ply (assume it's teak) I would say mask it off and run a swiped corner bead in there with white adhesive silicone. Should give it a clean finish that blends in well with the existing glass and will allow some flexibility.

Brisco

Member I
Update to the Cabinet project.

Boat Cabinet Project Continued

Took quite a while to create the template for the hull curve. I ended up using a cup with a pencil securely attached on the top (a make shift compass) to trace the hull curve onto a piece of cardboard.

I found some 1/2" polyurethane hard plastic tubing (normally used for drip irrigation) which I cut open and slid over the ends as a barrier between the wood and fiberglass. Works great and leaves no scuff marks on the fiber glass... and only cost $4!

Still have the drawers, trim, and final attachment of the counter top. But its coming along. Makes the space feel so much bigger.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Excellent work Todd. Great inginuity and a beautiful finish. I am glad your wife still has all her toes:egrin:. Those carving knives can be nasty!

SASSY

Member II
Great Job

I don't have the patience for wood work. You two did a great job, I love everything else about boats but I have never been good with wood. Give me an engine to rebuild anytime.

Brisco

Member I
Didn't actually spend a night on the hook as we planned, But we got to test our new ground tackle during lunch. We got a early start Saturday and hoped to sail out and see how close we could get to Anacapa, but the wind had other plans so we practiced some light air sailing on Saturday... Sunday though was a completely different story big storm rolled in early Sunday night and winds were around 17knots when we woke, and NOAA was calling for 30+knots so we stayed in the marina.

We knew the storm was due Sunday so didn't spend Saturday night out.