• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1968 e26 pics and advice

diver831

1968 e26 resources

Hey now, I just bought a 1968 e26 and I'm looking for other people in the bay area that might have one. The fleet one web site hasn't been updated in a long time so I thought someone here could help me.Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

surleau

Clueless e26 owner as well.

We should exchange pics to see if our boats are similar. Do you have a hull number? I'd like to know mine. It's been removed somehow.

Christine

surleau

info on ericson 26

I think I've attached a photo of my boat. If this works, I can send a few more if it helps.

thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
Christine

Attachments

• race.jpg
    race.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 772

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Christine,
Just idle curiosity, but is there any special reason that the engine is not mounted in the well?

LB

I need to scan a photo of mine. I love my little Ericson. I don't have my engine mounted in the well, either.

The hatch wouldn't quite close over the outboard I had, so I put a raised grating over the well. Now I keep my stern anchor and some water jugs there.

Also, the well is directly over the rudder, so if you have a long shaft you won't be able to use the well.

surleau

motor

yes, it didn't fit into the well. Since, I've sealed the well and use it for gas storage. Someone had built up the hatch cover, but I had it put back to it's original size. I do have a large motor. when it dies, I'll buy a smaller horse power, but it came with the boat, and I'm broke, so that's what it's keeping.

surleau

stern heavy?

Are your boats stern heavy? My water line is peeling off because it sits below the water. I did hear from another man with an ericson that his did the same thing, and he had to change it a few times.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The motor bulk/size problem must be due to the larger housing over the power head on the modern four strokes. A friend of mine used an older Evenrude 15 in that factory well on his 26 Mk1 with no apparent difficulty.

Personally, I would try a 7 or 8 hp four stroke in the well, and (if needed) do some glass work on that well, mounting, and lid before I would go to a motor mounted way out astern on a bracket. But then, I never met a boat engineering problem I didn't like.... Well, not too many, anyway.
:)

When all is said and done, "everything's a compromise."
:rolleyes:

LB

surleau

great help.

Thank you everyone for your help.

I'm off to Florida to visit my parents and hope to cruise the sea shore for new boat stuff.

I've joined PHRF, but they still need to come out and measure. Wow, 250 rating. That's high. I've been rated at 223 from the guys at the club, for beer can racing. I'll kick ass with 250.

Many of the guys are afraid of a woman at the helm. Maybe that's why they gave me that rating.

Take care,
Thanks.
Christine

Seth

Sustaining Partner
A guess, but....

250 ish is my guess-the newer 26's are in the 230 area, and you will have to remind them how different your boat is from the 80's vintage 25+/26's. The IB 25+ is 219, the old style 25 is 234, and your boat is slower than those by a good bit. Compare WL length, sail area and displacements and you will see.

The fastest I could imagine is 244, but I would give someone new to racing and the boat a 250 without hesitation. The Pearson 26 is also about 219, but it is similar in vintage to the 1970's 25's. The old Pearsson Commander is 249, which I think is a pretty good point of reference..

Having said that, on a 5 mile race, 12 seconds a mile is only 1 minute-which you can lose in a bad tack or a single missed shift. Considering you will act on 3-4 shifts on a given beat, I don't worry too much if my rating is 12 seconds worse than I would hope for. It doesn't take much to pick up a minute on the average PHRF fleet..
Good luck!