• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wheel to tiller

WhiteNoise

Member III
I have been thinking for some time now that the 30+ was better designed as a tiller boat, only to find out recently that the wheel was an option and it was indeed tiller driven in it's standard configuration.

My pedestal has seen better days and I would rather convert than replace or have parts made for the YS pedestal ... which brings me to my question.

Knowing the boat was designed for it I am not concerned about balance or excessive helm. My question is what will I need to do this? I know I will need a tiller, tiller head assembly (suggestions welcomed), and new motor controls.

I would like to hear from someone that has the original tiller system (Frank?) for feedback. Does the tube the rudder post passes through go all the way up to the bottom of the cockpit floor? If it did I would suspect the tiller head assembly is not water tight as the water would simply pass down the tube and back into the drink. Mine terminates about half way there with a packing nut. This exposes the rudder post for the steering quadrant to attach.

Last edited:

Lucky Dog

Member III
E35-II with tiller

The tiller post in our boat comes through the cockpit floor using a threaded flange. The tiller is over four feel long and takes up the entire forward cockpit. The engine throttle and control panel are mounted forward of the cockpit on the right side. We are converting to a wheel for more room

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I found a couple of photos of an E-30+ on the web. Looks like it has a T-shaped cockpit which made the wheel option work pretty well (i.e. provides room for a large diameter wheel). Note that the boat in the photo has a "miniature" wheel, for some unknown reason.

Our '88 model has a similar cockpit design and the wheel was also a common factory option on our model. While I would have much preferred to find one with a tiller (and have been aboard another one with a tiller) we have adapted OK to the wheel.

On ours there is a screw-off plate over the rudder head, and that is where the (minimally designed...) emergency tiller would be inserted. :rolleyes:

I only wish that they had left the stock rudder head tiller fitting in place. Of well, "if wishes were fishes the sea would feed us all. :;)

In converting back, you may find that you need to pull the rudder-and-shaft and have the "missing" top of the post welded back on. New flange with grease fitting and/or bearing race type of top would then be added.
Not a minor project, but quite do-able.

Perhaps someone else with a tiller model can post up photos from cockpit and also from underneath. That would help a lot.

Good luck,
Loren

Attachments

• E30+ traveler.jpg
    E30+ traveler.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 131
  • E30+ wheel.jpg
    E30+ wheel.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

Meanolddad

Member III
Hi Chris

We are actually planning on going down to Regulus today. I will bring the camera and take pictures. Have not been down for a little while, weather, work and family obligations have gotten in way.:esad: I will try to post the pictures before going to work tonight. What ever else you want to know let me know since Regulus is an original tiller boat.

Greg

Meanolddad

Member III
Hi Chris

No sailing today, weather was a bit unsettled. Marina manager was quite happy to see us since only a couple of owners make it down after the rains to see if their boats are still floating. We just hung around the boat for a while Here are the pictures, if you have any more questions let me know. First pictures are the front and back of the engine controls, then the tiller and then one of the rudder tube. Looks like the rudder tube is set up for a wheel quadrant. Makes sense in a production environment, boat can be set up as a wheel or tiller at the last second.

Greg

Attachments

• engine controls.jpg
    engine controls.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 106
  • engine control rear.jpg
    engine control rear.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 121
  • tiller pic.jpg
    tiller pic.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 168
  • tiller pic 2.jpg
    tiller pic 2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 618
  • rudder tube.jpg
    rudder tube.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 127

WhiteNoise

Member III
Thanks so much for taking the time to take those pics. I really appreciate it.

It looks very similar to mine. That is where the quadrant would go. I would be curious to see what it looks like just under the deck.

Now if only there was someone who converted from a tiller to a wheel so I could get their hardware. haha ;)

I plan to look at what is underneath the cover for the emergency tiller connection. That will reveal I hope the rest of the puzzle.

I will let you know if anything else comes up. Thanks again for the pics!!!

CaptDan

Member III
We are converting to a wheel for more room

One of the benefits of the E35II with wheel steering is, the rudder post head (to which you'd affix the emergency tiller) serves well as a rudder position indicator. If you ever forget how many locks the wheel is turned, merely look down over the thwart and there she be. :egrin:

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

WhiteNoise

Member III
Here's some pics of the deck fitting

Any ideas how I could install a tiller head assembly on this and be water tight?
IMG00023.jpg

IMG00024.jpg

Seth

Sustaining Partner
New rudder post

Looks liie you will have to drop the rudder and weld on an extension to the post-or have it rebuilt with a longer post...

:esad:
S

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looks liie you will have to drop the rudder and weld on an extension to the post-or have it rebuilt with a longer post...
:esad:
S

That's just what ours looks like, too. We really wanted to convert back to a tiller after we bought the boat, but lacked the $$ at the time, and had already bought an A4000s AP to install.
Now that the wheel-mounted AP is 14 years old, I could almost imagine a future project where we go ahead and put the top section back on the rudder post for a proper tiller, and then install a below-deck ram for a new AP.
But that's for someday.... when the recession eases and my mutual funds start to show some life again.
:rolleyes:

Best,
LB

delandz

delandz@sea
E 26, Wheel to Tiller

I have a 85 Ericson 26 with wheel steering, has anyone converted this boat to tiller steering? Where would I get parts, tiller and controls?

egalvan

Member I
E 30+ Wheel to Tiller Conversion

I'd like to convert my E30+ from wheel to tiller. I found this thread from years back. Did you ever do the conversion? The top of my rudder post looks exactly like yours. Did you drop the rudder to accomplish it?

p.gazibara

Member III
I don't have much to add to this, Cinderella's rudder and all parts are completely custom. I can tell you that our 35-2 is an amazingly well balanced tiller steered boat, after sailing on an E-32 with a wheel, I much prefer my tiller, maybe because I'm used to it?

If you are looking for ideas:

I can say that it simplifies things substantially. Tiller head bolts to rudder stock, tiller is attached to that, and that's it. Hard to beat simplicity.

We even pulled the rudder in the marina for repairs.

Our rudder tube is a 4" stainless tube glassed to the hull with UHMW bushings in the tub keeping the rudderstock aligned.

I replaced the UHMW thrust washers on the rudderstock after 15 years and reassembled the rudder after fresh pain was applied. All while the boat was in the water.

Simple, efficient, and can be repaired on the fly.

-P