• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bilge Pump Switch quandary

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
After replacing several Rule float switches over the years, some showing almost zero exposure to water....
I would like to change to something more reliable. :mad:

I was reading about this product after seeing an ad in 48 North, and then referred to their site.
http://www.waterwitchinc.com/
Of course their description makes it sound even better than sliced bread!
I am looking at their Model 101 Series.
http://www.waterwitchinc.com/new/SiteElements/Pages/ProductPages/101product.html

I am not really interested in throwing away any more $ on a Rule switch. :p

Comments? Advice? Praise? Derision?
;)

Thanks,
LB

:confused:

Attachments

• 101large.gif
    101large.gif
    13.1 KB · Views: 172

Ernest

Member II
bilge pump switch

Knowingly letting myself in for the next 100 rants, I advise "DON'T HAVE AN AUTOMATIC SWITCH"
1)It won't keep your boat from sinking. Batteries will die first
2) It will cover up leaks by keeping the bilge water down, untill the leak is large enough to sink the boat, when the pump can't keep up or the batteries die
3) Just install a simple on off switch for the pump and when you arrive at the boat, check the bilge and if no water, fine. If you have a little bit of water OK. there is a small drip somewhere If you have more than a little, you have a leak. Find it and fix it. BEFORE the boat sinks
4) Stuffing boxes should not leak when the shaft isn't turning.

I've had 6 boats now and this system works and is simple (don't tell West Marine, they like selling switches)

HughHarv

Hugh
Internally switched pump

Loren, I installed a second, smaller bilge pump with internal float switch for way less than the cost of just a float switch. I mounted the smaller pump on a wooden stake (for lack of better description) about an inch off the bottom. The existing larger pump can then be mounted slightly higher.

I wired new pump to an auto/manual/off switch direct to one battery cable in panel and routed a small hose up to a small thru-hole in the side of the cockpit. Now, if the small pump turns and I see running water, or a puddle after the fact, then I'll know I've got a leak to investigate. Should improve situaltional awareness. My boat is still on the hard so I haven't had a chance to really test the theory.

kevin81

Member II
Loren,
I installed a Waterwitch model 230 two years ago after going through the same problems with float switches. The Waterwitch 230 was rated best choice by P/S in January 2006. I have not any problems with it. A few times a year I'll test it by flushing the bilge (with clean water).

I'd recommend it.

Kevin
1989 E34