• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Border Run Race- Newport to Ensenada

Geoff Nelson

Member II
I am NOT doing the Newport to Ensenada this year for a number of reasons- logistical pita, low chance of making it there unless I join cruising class, Ensenada is a bit dangerous lately.

There is a new race called The Border Run that is Newport to San Diego (via the Coronado's IF you want). It's not necessarily competing with N2E as it is not the epic journey of 450 boats to Mexico for the like 61st year, I would guess they'll get 50 boats, but as I don't need to get shitfaced in Mexico (again) and don't need yet another 12 hour delivery back to SD. I am in with Pau Hana (E381).

http://www.theborderrun.org/

Ben is thinking of taking his E381. Is anyone else interested (especially 38's!) in getting a OD start???? I know the organizer and we can race OD if we want (realizing that I race my boat once I year- you have a good chance of beating me!)

Thoughts? I'll give anyone from out of town any local logistical support I can in San Diego.

Cheers,

G-

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Geoff,
I looked at the race web site and note that there is an Olson 911s entered. The E-38 also seems to rate somewhere around 114 to 120. Looks like you might get to race against another Ericson (distant relation) anyway!
:rolleyes:

Wish we were there, partly for the sunshine... and with our smaller genny we would rate around 120 or slower...
Sunshine and warm winds. Yum. Sounds wonderful right now from where I sit!

LB

Geoff Nelson

Member II
E-38's for The Border Run

Thanks Loren,

There are usually 6-8 E35's and 38's that usually do the Ensenada race and I'm hoping they will "see the light" and join me... it'd be great to have a raft up on either side of the race as well.

Cheers,

G-
ps- it's POURING here as well so while the last two months have been gorgeous, mother nature is getting us caught up in a hurry!

chaco

Member III
Sailing in Mexico...are you Crazy ?

PLEASE Check out CONDITIONS in Mexico from our Local SD papers at www.nctimes.com or just search Ensenada Drug Crime before you plan your Mexican Vacation. NOBODY around my Harbor Sails in to Mexico anymore:cool:

Geoff Nelson

Member II
two points...

1) The crime is up in Ensenada but there are safe ways to negotiate there just as with any other place with less stability- travel in bigger groups, don't flash cash, avoid dark alleys... it's all common sense really.

2) The new race, The Border Run, does not go to Ensenada. The course is around Islas Coronados and then finish off Point Loma- never stopping IN Mexico. A shorter course (there is also a shorter one than that that doesn't go into Mexican waters as well).

Hoping to find several Ericson's that want to do this race to get our own fleet scoring!