• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

The beauty of a beautifully designed boat

Sven

Seglare
I was never very good as a racer so it is not me.

When we sailed back into Mission Bay last weekend I was amazed at how we literally sailed past other boats in winds that were so light that I would have expected us to be at a distinct disadvantage. Maybe all the other boats had fouled bottoms or even less enthusiastic racers than us, or maybe they just didn't want the sail to end.

Whatever the reason, it was wonderful to leave them all in our wake :)

-Sven

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
That is a pleasant thought, as I stare out the window at the snow, where it is currently 9F (-13C), in the middle of the afternoon. California dreamin...

I once had a similar experience passing Shelter Island, when I passed a quarter million dollar Hunter 42, with sails flapping, close enough to hear a woman's voice: "Well they can move!"

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

boethius27

Member II
We got this feeling a lot last year. With the exception of being on liveaboard friends' boats twice the previous summer I had never sailed before buying our e-35. Jenny (fiancee) had taken a sailing class for a week when she was like 12 (13 years ago). Anyhow, we don't have a knot meter or any way to judge our speed on board. The only way we know that we are sailing correctly is that we start passing all the other boats- no matter how little or how much wind. In 25-30 knots reefed main with almost no jib we passed boats all the way back from 18 miles away in Salem. In 0-5 knots through Boston harbor we consistently pass all the other boats. It really is a nice feeling... and our sails were cut for a different boat and just kinda slap rigged onto ours. I can't imagine it with good sails!

:egrin: Horns up to that! :egrin: