• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1989 Ericson E38-200 water heater location ?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Jeff, the water heater tank probably would not be connected in any way to the forced air furnace. I believe that the hot water tank is aft of the head compartment in that model, i.e. viewable when the starboard cockpit seat locker is open.
BTW, is yours the very clean E-38 that was sold by Capital Yachts of Olympia? If so, we were looking seriously at that one last summer.... My wife wanted to buy it on the spot, but no one would purchase our present boat in time... and then you came along... with $$$...
:)
Here is one of the pics from our visit.

Loren

Attachments

• E-38 Laz interior.jpg
    E-38 Laz interior.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner
As for former owner of a 1989 E38-200, I guess I'm confused that this could be a problem? Just open up the starboard lazarette and the water heater is the big boxy thing on the floor all the way aft - the thing that's in the way, and which likely as not has a "NOT A STEP" sign taped to the top?

sailorjdh

Member I
Where is that water heater

Hi Loren,
Thanks for the water heater information I will look again in that area.The starboard settee aft of the galley has batteries and the starboard water tank and I found the refrigeration compressor under the sink with the water pumps.
Yes I purchased Sweet Surrender through Capital City Yachts in Olympia this last Fall and I have her moored at the Marina in Des Moines where I live in a condo.I was looking at other boats and models for about 2 years and it was only shortly before that an older Ericson came up as an option.
Everything I was able to read about the 38 helped to clarify the decision.I love the boat and am looking forward to sailing the Sound and some day beyond..
The original owners had taken really good care of the boat and were very regretfully selling.They provided a waelth of written information for which I am very grateful. I am now just going through the systems and gradually trying to level out the steep learning curve in that my last sailboat was a Corsair F-28cc.
I believe you may have communicated with a friend of mine Tim who had posted a question back a few months.It sounded if you were intending possible blue water or serious coastal cruising and were considering whether the keel would need rebedded and the standing rigging to be replaced ?
My surveyor didn't find any immediate problems and unfortunately at present my work keeps me from the ideas of more immediate extensive sailing experiences.
Jeff Hart

sailorjdh

Member I
Steve I believe you

Thanks Steve, If you see my last post to Loren please appreciate I am really new to larger boat systems.Thanks for your help. Jeff

u079721

Contributing Partner
Jeff,

Well as Loren will tell you, this group should be a great source of info as you get to learn your new Ericson and its systems. You can usually get an answer to just about any question within hours - especially if you ask it during the week when many of us are at our desks at work and would rather be sailing!

If you look in the photo that Loren posted, the water heater is the rectangular block just to the right of center. Do resist the temptation to ever stand on that block, as it is not built to take the strain. On the front of the heater are the connections for water in and out, along with the pressure relief valve, and the 110 V connections. Just forward of the water heater, underneath the plywood floor, is going to be your starboard water tank. Next to the tank is the muffler. All the water forward in the lazarette is the holding tank, but you probably found that by now.

Usually are 3 batteries, underneath the starboard settee. The main water tank is athwartships under the port settee. An optional water tank may be found forward under the V berth. What else is hard to find..... The main bilge pump is under the galley sink mounted on the bulkhead next to the ice box. Next to it is the strainer for the bilge pump. There won't be a raw water strainer or accumulator tank under the sink unless a previous owner added them. The pump and strainer for the shower sump are mounted inside the engine compartment, on the bulkhead shared with the head, along side the electric fuel pump.

The engine is reliable and easy to use, but do take the time to locate the bleeder valve on starboard forward near the oil filter in case you have to bleed the engine, and the decompression valve. Get to know the engine zinc, which will be on the underside of the raw water heat exchanger (a 6: diameter tube about 16" long) on port at the aft end of the engine.

Be sure to get to know your steering gear too. There is a panel on the overhead in the aft cabin underneath the pedestal that comes out with a dozen screws. That panel gives you access to the steering cables for maintainance.

And on and on...... Welcome to the group, and best of luck with your new boat!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Gleanings from my digi camera

Photos of starboard settee contents for that E-38/200. Middle area is taken up by a large inverter. Batteries, sure enough, are aft under the aft portion of that seat.

I kinda wondered whether the prior owner could not have found a better place for that big ol' inverter... it seemed like some storage was lost.

Of course that model has a lot of other storage all over the interior compared to our little 34 footer.

"Everything's a compromise", as another Ericson owner and old sailing buddy is always telling me!
:)

Loren

Attachments

• E-38 batteries.JPG
    E-38 batteries.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 80
  • inverter E-38.jpg
    inverter E-38.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

sailorjdh

Member I
thanks for the help and another question

Thanks again for the help. I had noticed the pressure relief valave on the now known to be water heater unit in the starboard lazarette. The broker had identified that unit as the forced air furnance which I now believe will be found located aft of the water heater.One additional question comes to mind.The heat exchanger unit on the universal 32 hp has a pencil zinc that is accessible from the port side of the unit. When I looked on line on the universal site at parts it appeared that Seakamp units also have a zinc on the starboard side of the heat exchanger unit so that would be two zincs for the heat exchanger one on each end does that sound correct ? If there is an additional zinc on the starboard in board end that I think will be a challenge to replace.
Jeff Hart

u079721

Contributing Partner
Jeff,

Well I can't speak to the exact heat exchanger that your boat has, but I've not seen one with a zinc on starboard - which if true, would indeed be a bear and a half to reach, let alone change.

On our E38 the aft portion of the starboard settee held two group 31 batteries, and the middle portion held a much smaller group 24 back up for engine starting - which left a fair amount of room for storage of oil and other type stuff in the middle and aft batter compartments. But the inverter needs to breath, doesn't it? I know it would involve a longer cable run, but I would have tried to put that in the lazarette to save valuable storage space.