• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mounting heavy dinghy outboard on E27 rail

Jarod

Member III
Hello All,

Any opinions as to whether my E27 stern rail will be up to the task. I have already purchased a Mercury 9.9 four stroke for my new Walker Bay inflatable. I wanted a motor that would plane two....so this was my best option. Unfortunately the thing weighs 85 pounds (one of the lightest four strokes). I had a 40 pound outboard on the rail previous and that seemed fine but this is quite a difference. The E27 has just the one rail across the top and not the double rail like some of the other models. So what say you...should i beef up the rail with some stainless tube/strapping etc or would i be ok with the stock configuration? By the way I have already purchased/installed a Forespar outboard crane so I have that issue covered.

Does anyone else have a 9.9 four stroke on the rail?

Thanks Jarod

Last edited:

Rhynie

Member III
Jarod,
Thats a lot on the stern of a 27. However, that being said, maybe think about a regular outboard transom mount placed up high directly on the transom.

Just a thought,
Brian

Jarod

Member III
Thanks for the reply Brian....that thought had occurred to me as well, but then there are the usual concerns with asthetics etc etc. I suppose a big outboard is a big outboard regardless of whether its on the rail or on a transom bracket. If I do go with the transom bracket it would make sense to have it low enough so that I could lower the (short shaft) outboard into the water and use it as a get me home motor should my old atomic have any issues. I will have to find a bracket with alot of travel.

jkm

Member III
Jarod

I had a 9.8 Tohatsu four for a summer. Great motor and made my inflatable fly.

Sold it three months later-just too heavy. Bought a 2 Honda. 27 lbs is just the right weight. It was a deal or I would have gone for a 3.5 Tohatsu/Mercury.

Honestly one of my fears was having the 9.8 on the stern rail and hitting a good swell-I could just see it ripped off.

Wish I had a bigger motor, but safety came first.

John

Jarod

Member III
Hi John,

You are no doubt right on the money...but the need for speed has taken me. Funny how its a thrill to sail at 6 knots but I still want more power for the dink. In any case i have already purchased the motor so will have to make do for now. I am thinking I will mount a Fulton or Garelick bracket on the transom as high as possible but low enough so I can get the prop in the water if I need to use the outboard as a get me home motor.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Too bad you already own the motor. I have 2 Johnson 4hp 2 strokes that weigh 33 lbs and they get my 9' RIB up on plane.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"ironing board" dinghy alternative

This thread started out with having a planing dinghy and then wanting enough motor for it...
It seems worth mentioning that a sailing friend of mine (who owned an Ericson 27 a long time) bought a Porta-Boat for his larger cruiser. He tried a hard frp dinghy on the current boat but thought that hoisting it to the fore deck was a bit of a handful.
He is the first to admit that the Porta-Boat is homely, but notes that it stores folded flat against the stanchions and is light weight.
http://www.porta-bote.com/performance.html

The cool part is that his planes with a 3 hp motor. He sez that a 2 hp might even plane it with one passenger.

We have been considering something like this to someday replace our old human-powered Zodiac.

Fair Winds,
Loren

Rhynie

Member III
There are a couple of inflatables in our marina that have those little air cooled Briggs & Stratton outboards on them - might be worth a look.