• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Goofy way to access cell-phone GPS

Mikebat

Member III
www.cradlepoint.com makes WiFi hotspots that access the internet through cellular broadband. You can attach a USB internet adapter, or tether your broadband-enabled cellphone through the USB port, and then connect to the internet with any device that can access the WiFi hotspot, just like you would with a cable or DSL WiFi hotspot. I'm using the CTR-350 to get near-DSL speed internet on my boat (2500+ kbps download and 470+ kbps upload on a good day, while in the harbor).

The goofy part is that a recent firmware update added the ability to provide a NMEA 0183 data stream from the phone's GPS, over the router's TCP port 8889. It's a rather geeky chore to translate this into a serial RS232 NMEA data stream that can be used by your chartplotter or PC, but it's doable. If you have Google Earth installed, connecting to the router on port 8889 with your browser will serve a KML data file that will automatically open up Google Earth, centered on your current location.

I said it was goofy.

Last edited:

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
You don't need to buy additional hardware. The WM 6.1 software WMWifiRouter ($30) will turn your 3G cell phone into a Wifi router.

Mikebat

Member III
But only if your 3G phone runs Windows Mobile OS (and has WiFi support, obviously).

Last edited: