• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sails luff length

SASSY

Member II
I am trying to find some used sales in good shape however I don't know the length of the luff. I would messure it but the boat is in florida, and I am in Canada. The boat is a 1987 Ericson 34 with a harken unit 2 roller furling. If anyone knows the luff length please let me know as I am preping the boat for for the Sol del Sol regatta in April and I dont want to be in the middle of the Gulf with inadequate sails.
Thanks.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Check the manual in the Specs & Documents area of this website. That should tell you the luff assuming your rig has not been modified. The only way to know for sure is to measure.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Yeah but

Somehow, someway, you should get a pin to pin luff measurement from YOUR boat. They are all a little different, and while the published lengths should be close, and the deduct for the Harken furler is pretty standard, you could end up with a sail slightly long, or if you are looking for a heavy weather sail as it seems, it is more critical-if you buy a sail with short luff, and it is more than about a foot shorter than the available length, you should have a wire pennant attached to the sail so the top drum can be close to full hoist even with the short luff sail. The reason is that without the pennant, the top drum could be 2-4' (or??) below the halyard sheave, which could allow the halyard to wrap around the headstay when you try and furl the headsail.........which is a long way of saying you are taking a risk trying to get a furling sail to fit without having a real pin to pin length from the actual boat..

Good luck!:)