• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

steering cable...

rhewitt

Member II
Today it happened, 1st slab reef & 1/2 of 130 jib with wind gusting 35+ and 8 guest out for a Nicaragua sail.

The steering got very hard to turn and head up into wind and then after about an hour a BIG thump.... thinking the cable had a warp, it was now back to good steering. One more hour and coming into the harbor it all let go and NO steering! NOTHING so I guess the cable failed.

A fisherman was going by and I got a tow to bouy and let everyone off (me too). I will go out on Monday and take a look.

Any ideas before I try and fix? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks for any help,

Ralph

"No Bad Days"

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Edson steering cable

Ralph - A few years ago on my boat the clamps on the cable at the drive wheel on the rudder post let go. It was an easy fix because I could just replace the clamps.

I replaced the entire chain & cable Assembly at the first opportunity because there were some meat hooks on the cable.

The Edson part # for the "chain & wire rope assembly" is 2S15B9. I bought it from Defender at a significant discount, but don't see that size in their catalog tonight.

http://www.edsonmarine.com/marinest...uct_info&cPath=84_92_220_222&products_id=1124

You can also make it up yourself from standard parts shown above.