• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Converting ABI Nav Light from Zenon to LED

rgraham

Member II
Hello All,
I thought I'd share this with you how to convert a 7 inch ABI Nav Dome Light from Zenon to LED. I did this just for the heck of it. I'll just decribe the photos...
1) Of course the bulb holder wouldn't line up for the Lunasea G4 6 LED Warm White bulb.
2) Had to drill an extra hole and clip the post to rotate the bulb holder.
3) Rotated bulb holder using a large washer to hold the top screw.
4) Switch before adding the diode,
5) After adding the diode.
6) Light on low (one LED),
7) Light on High (both LEDs)

It seems to be as bright as the Zenon bulb and should use a lot less power.
Materials and costs...
1) ABI Nav Light $15
2) 2 Lunsea 6 LED Warm White Bulbs $22 (www.Lunasea.com)
3) Diode(50V 1A) 50 cents (Radio Shack)

Total $37.50

Attachments

• Offset 1.jpg
    Offset 1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Clipped 2.jpg
    Clipped 2.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Rotated 3.jpg
    Rotated 3.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Switch 4.jpg
    Switch 4.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Diode 5.jpg
    Diode 5.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 80

pick

Member II
Looks like a great idea! I don’t quite understand the wiring. :confused: Is the red wire removed or just not visible in photo number 5. What’s the purpose of the diode? Are there instructions with the LED?

rgraham

Member II
No the red wire is not removed

Sorry for the confusion, the red wire is the positive and the diode was the easiest way to get a hi/low switch without adding two more wires. This unit was for either red light on or the white light not both. No there were not instructions with the LED, I was hoping for just a simple replacement. But then realized I wanted a hi/low light as well. So the diode lets power go to the first bulb as well as the second when I switch it to the second position, but does not allow it to flow when it is in the first position (so it acts as a one way check valve).
I did this because I like this style of light and wanted the lower power consumption.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Check out the sensibulbs. They are expensive but for color and light output they are so much better than anything else out there. My friend and I have been experimenting with a lot of LED bulbs out there. Check out his testing here:

http://www.sailboatowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103101&highlight=sensibulb

I have heard that they will lower that price a little with some dickering and multiple purchases. I am planning on buying these once I convert my festoon fixtures to G4.