• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New to Ericson (E-34T questions)

Rhynie

Member III
I have just traded up to an Ericson 34T #124 from a Pearson 30, sort of a penchant for older designs.

Any words of wisdom from other owners?

Brian in Mandeville Louisiana

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Ericson 34T

Brian:

I crewed on a few occassions for a good friend on Lake Michigan on the 34T "Firecracker" in the mid 80's.

It was an excellent boat........owned by John Gottwald......won his division in the Chicago Mackinac in the 90's.....

The only gripe I would have had with the boat was the Atomic 4.......BUT.....in truth the M25 in my 35-3 leaves much to be desired also.......

IMHO you have an excellent boat and should really enjoy it.

FWIW

Rhynie

Member III
Mort,
Appreciate the come back, I'm looking forward to making her mine. She is in pretty solid shape and nicely rigged. The A4 was replaced with a Yamar about 10 years ago. I raced her a couple weekends ago, there were only 6 boats out, but took first in fleet.

Brian

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Check the rudder tube! Mine is on the hard now for bottom paint and a couple other things.

I had a little play in the rudder, and water was entering through the rudder stuffing box while under power or heeling under sail. When we dropped the rudder, we noticed that the fiberglass rudder tube was flexing excessively where it mates with the hull. The yard has now reinforced the tube with four extra layers of fiberglass, and they say it is as rigid as it should have been when originally built.

If not for the leak, I might have never discovered the under-built tube--and that could have led to the most catastrophic of failures.

If you're not noticing any play in the rudder post, or leaks from the seal, you're probably good for now. But next time you haul her, drop the rudder and check out the tube.

Also, where are the batteries and holding tank located on your boat? Do you have a propane locker? If so, where?

My batteries are in the engine compartment, adjacent to the transmission. I'm curious to know if there is a more accessible location.

A previous owner put the holding tank in the aft half of the hanging locker. I would like to relocate it and restore hanging space.

I currently have an alcohol stove, but am considering a propane range with oven. I'm curious to know where others have their propane lockers.

I have just traded up to an Ericson 34T #124 from a Pearson 30, sort of a penchant for older designs.

Any words of wisdom from other owners?

Brian in Mandeville Louisiana

Rhynie

Member III
Mark, we are only three hull numbers apart!

I bought her in November, previous owner had just bought her in April '08 but was transferred and put her back on the market. She had a full survey at that time. i got under the cokpit with light when I looked at her and had someone work the rudder, at that time I noticed o problem, but will take another look.

Batteries: A dedicated start battery is under the companionway steps in the front the engine. There is a molded box for two under the starboard cockpit seat (only one in it now) but both have master switches and are charged via an isolator.

Head: the holding tank is under the port vee berth.

Propane: tank is in the lazarette, but is not adequately vented and will remain empty until that comes up on he project list; she has the four burner cooktop w/oven.

http://www.baymarine.com/34ericson_byedesign.html

That is the brokers page showing the boat.

Is yours a tall rig or standard? What is your PHRF rating?

Stay in touch,

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Wow, cool bow sprit! I'm trying to figure out where and how to mount a bow roller--maybe I'll get a sprit.

I don't have the original mast, and it is definitely tall. I think my boom is longer than original, too. Therefore, I frequently reef in the 15-20 knot range. She seems most comfortable and fastest around 25 degrees of heel.

I don't have a PHRF rating, but I recently read that the So. Cal. rating for 34-T's is 144. I don't know any specifics about that.

A previous owner installed a huge fuel tank that occupies the entire space under the starboard settee. I would prefer to have the storage space, but hey--at least I can motor from Los Angeles to Greece without refueling!

Thanks for the pics. I had 8 pics of them that I swiped from a broker's page in 2006. Now I have more! (I collect pics of 34-T's to get ideas for projects).

Here's one of mine:

Attachments

• deck.JPG
    deck.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 1,988

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Turns out the rudder tube was perfectly rigid. Someone had packed the rudder stuffing box with undersized packing, and the excessive play created the illusion of tube flex. Now, everything is packed properly and shimmed, and the rudder is drip free, and there's no play whatsoever.

Marina Shipyard in Long Beach, CA did a great job on Whisper over the past two weeks, and the bill was well under the original estimate. I'm a happy guy.

Jeff A: Thanks for the referral!

Bardo

Member II
34-T Question

Folks,
I have been on the lookout for an E-34 for some time. few and far between here on the East coast, but I have notice several 34-Ts. What is the essential difference between the T, R and regular 34's? My dream is the later tri-cabin model, but those are of course the most expensive.

Thanks,
Freeman

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Freeman, the later 34 is the only one with the tri-cabin layout. Another option is the Olson 34 which is even more rare and there is one in NY that has been on YW for a while. I believe it shows up if you search Ericson and 34 for length.

There is an '87 34 up here in Maine that a friend is selling after moving up to a Cambria 44. It has also been on the market for a whle and he may be ready to move if offered a lower price. Bruce King personally sailed this boat with my friend when he bought it new at the PS dealer in Christmas Cove, ME.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sitting and Sleeping options

As Tim points out, the cabin layout is completely different. Also, the hull design is different, as the 34T (late 70's) is much more of an IOR design (i.e. designed closer to the measurement rule), and the later (80's) E-34 has far less IOR hull influence -- especially in having fuller sections aft.
And, considering the cabin..., with the E-34T you get a more open interior of a "type a" design, with head forward and an open quarterberth area aft.

The later "tri cabin" layout with head aft and a larger aft cabin with a door requires that the companionway entry be pushed forward some and this in turn compresses the main entertainment area in the center of the boat.

Subjectivity Rules ! ...... Nothing wrong or right with either layout. :cool:

As i recall, both designs will give you a sleeping option that is missing in most new boats in this size range: a choice of sea berths on either settee. If you spend a night at sea you will appreciate having a secure place to rest on the off-watch. At sea the fore peak is often un-sleep-able due to the occupant being tossed into the air and then smacked back down on the bunk top as the boat moves up and down (& sideways) in a seaway. Aft berths are good, but that helps only one person.

I cannot speak for all the other Ericson products, but our boat can sleep three on the off watch: aft cabin and both long settees. Not a feature one needs very often, but when you do need it -- nothing else will do! :rolleyes:

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

ndrake95

Ericson 34T

Brian:

I crewed on a few occassions for a good friend on Lake Michigan on the 34T "Firecracker" in the mid 80's.

It was an excellent boat........owned by John Gottwald......won his division in the Chicago Mackinac in the 90's.....

The only gripe I would have had with the boat was the Atomic 4.......BUT.....in truth the M25 in my 35-3 leaves much to be desired also.......

IMHO you have an excellent boat and should really enjoy it.

FWIW
Hi Mort,

I appreciate you posting this as I am the new owner of Firecracker, which has been renamed to Kraken. She's back in Chicago and I'm looking to get her back into racing. My goal is to race her in the 2025 Chicago Mackinac, which will mark 25 years since her last Mackinac race (according to the plaques).

Mackinac_Plaques.jpg

Cheers,
Nick Drake