• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Deck Recore

jthistle

Member II
Here are a coupla snaps of the decks coming off and recored. Went at it from the top - after a lot of debate. Fairing is an ongoing process and I may use treadmaster or live with the imperfections. Sorry I dont have more photos of the finished product.... I think I was too excited about not having squishy decks.

Actually this project is alot easier than it looks ... It still takes your breath away when you taks the circular saw to the fiberglass.

I recored with Marine Ply - I know the pitfalls and merits but I stick with that decision - Actually installed it in smaller pieces...2-3 feet at a time. That leaves a "beam" of glass for strength and to act as a dam - between core sections. Seemed logical to me.

The Fairing might be a little off. But hey... Decks are dry and stiff...Fairing might be a separate project for another time.

I sailed the boat with one coat of interdeck on the decks for the summer...Not quite rough enough so I'll likely do another coat or two this spring. I did the decks during the 2nd week of July 2008.

Here are the snaps...

Attachments

• IMG_2978.jpg
    IMG_2978.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_2980.jpg
    IMG_2980.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_2981.jpg
    IMG_2981.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2982.jpg
    IMG_2982.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 206

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Nice work Jason. It appears you did this outside. How did you seal the deck from rain while doing the work?

jthistle

Member II
Thanks...yup... the project went well. We Finished in one full day!! Started Early in the morning - Cut the decks off in about 1/2 hour. Then startled Scraping and grinding the core out - by lunch time we were griding the stubborn bits out and adding a bit of tooth for the new glass. Then Cut the pattern out for new core... wet it out with neat epoxy. Added some cabosil for a base and....smoshed it in. Then brushed neat epoxy on the topside of the core....added a bunch with of thickened epoxy and ...smoshed the deck back on (after grinding and cleaning with acetone)

It was a busy job and there were Three of us...not idle for a second in a 10 hour session. This was my only saving grace as it was pretty hot those days and working time was to a minimum - 3 people minimum. Did it in the water and had the boat watertight in a full day....The fairing and painting took place the next weekend and is far from perfect...but hey. I'm not too fussy about my own work and the boat is solid...watertight and I'm happy with it. I was at the boat today covering up... I'll send some shots when I get them off the camera.

Cheers
jt