• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cockpit scupper on E27 with cutaway transom

timh

1972 E27 #157
I've got one of the E27s with the cutaway transom. After reading through all the threads concerning cockpit scuppers, connecting hoses, and seacocks, I was almost disappointed to find that my boat has only one cockpit scupper. But it's probably not a problem because any big water in the cockpit would have a big hole at the stern to exit through. The scupper is located on the centerline, in the depression at the bottom of the cutaway. It drains out above waterline (or at least it's above waterline at the dock).

But that one scupper does seem to be the source of a leak that I've finally tracked down. (A big thank you to the folks who suggested marking lines with chalk.) I'm attaching a photo, taken via the access panel at the rear of the quarterberth. As you can see, the fittings are in rough shape. In fact, although it doesn't show in the photo, it's possible to see daylight between the opening in the hull and the scupper outlet.

I'm wondering about a couple of things that I'm hoping the folks here can help with. First, is this the original setup for the cutaway transom boats, or the work of a PO? There's obviously no real throughhull or seacock here. Was there ever? Second, if a throughhull/seacock setup isn't necessary here, what suggestions do people have for sealing this up so that water can't get inside the hull here?

Thanks,
Tim H.
E27 #157

Attachments

• IMG_3229_320x240.jpg
    IMG_3229_320x240.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 357

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Looks original

I have an identical setup in my e27 (full transom, though). The fiberglass tube was simply gel-coated in place and it has been leaking (I could see sunlight coming through the space between the tube and the hull when I went to remove it last weekend). I will either be glassing the fiberglass tube to the inside of the hull or putting in a real thru-hull. Probably the former since there is not much room to work with.

This seems to be a very poor design (poor fabrication more like), especially since the fitting is completely underwater in my boat when motoring.

Luckily its an easy fix.

Doug

timh

1972 E27 #157
Agreed that there's not much room to work with or in back there. It doesn't help that the screws on the hose clamps wound up on the side facing away from the access panel. But I'm going to try for a thruhull solution. Good luck with the glassing. It'll be good to have this leak eliminated.

- Tim H.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
The heads of my hose clamps were totally rusted out. I had to use a dremel with a cutoff wheel to get them off. Making matters worse, the plastic cockpit drain is partially glassed in, which will necessitate more cutting with the dremel, since I'm sure the sealant is gone in it. Just one more of those little surprises!

Doug

timh

1972 E27 #157
Geometry lessons

I didn't have to use the dremel, but I did get my own surprises. To paraphrase Robin Williams' old line, "Geometry, what a concept!" My biggest surprise shouldn't really have been a surprise: Inserting a thruhull from below puts the top of the thruhull above the bottom of the scupper. So that's not going to work, not without large loops of really flexible hosing in order to make the connection. But that would leave lots of places for standing water to sit inside the hose, and that doesn't seem like a good situation.

So now my plan is to use an exhaust fitting on the hull instead. This fitting is much shorter than the thruhull, so it leaves some room from the scupper bottom. The tradeoff is absolute water tightness versus something less than that. But since this location is usually above water, just like a real exhaust outlet, I think it will work. The other bit of geometry here is that the scupper is vertical relative to the horizon, while the thruhull is at a 45 degree angle. So the hosing will still have to flexible. But I think I can just get it to go.

I'm beginning to understand why Ericson chose the solution that they did. :egrin:

- Tim

Glyn Judson

E27 cockpit scupper.

Tim, Unless you already have one, you're welcome to a bronze 1 1/2" exhaust flange I'm holding here in my hand free of charge. When replacing the original water lift muffler in our boat, it required me to use 2" hose throughout, thus the unwanted exhaust flange. It has a 3 1/2" mounting flange with three 1/4" countersunk mounting holes in it. All I ask is that you agree to pay the postage and it's yours. Feel free to contact me back channel or by phone to make arrangements. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA glynjudson@roadrunner.com or 310.453.1892

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Per-bent Hose

Prebent" that should have read!
Depending on your "geometry" and the distance from scupper to thruhull fitting you might consider using preformed radiator hose. They come in all manner of size and shape and are manufactured using reinforced hose. This way you wouldn't have to be concerned with kinks in the hose trying to make a tight bend and the "preformed" pieces come in some pretty short radius bends.
You'd have to talk your way into the warehouse to get to see all the inventory but possibly worth considering.
Presume you're talking about going without a seacock?

Last edited:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I ran into this old thread and thought I would post my final solution to this problem.

Pretty simple, just glassed a fiberglass tube between the cockpit and the hull. I have a bunch of extra fiberglass tube I would be willing to sell if anyone would like to purchase some of it.

Doug

P3280022.jpg

P3280024.jpg

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
It looks good and solid. Fun working under there, wasn't it!?
:rolleyes:

LB

Heh heh. Its scrappy looking 'cause I could never reach it with more than one hand! When I was curled up under the lazarette I neglected to wear a bunny suit and spilled a pot of epoxy all over my lap. Definitely one of my better moves on this project...