• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

heat exchanger zinc in 1981 E38?

race7347

I recently read about another boat that had a zinc in the heat echanger. It was at or part of the drain plug. Does anyone know if a 1981 Ericson 38 has a zinc in it's heat exchanger? It would save me some time and effort of going and looking.

Thanks.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
I would bet that the answer is yes. My '83 E33 with a Universal M25 has one. You have to cut the end off of the new zinc (about 3/8") so it will fit.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I think maybe what you think is a drain plug should really be a zinc. I have not seen a heat exchanger that had a seperate drain plug. I think the zinc are NPT so they could eaily be mistaken for a plug if the zinc is all used up.

race7347

Thank you for your replies. I haven't looked at the heat exchanger yet to find this plug/zinc, I had only heard that one might exist. I'll drive down and take a look.

Thanks again.

hodo

Member III
Yes, there is a zinc in the heat exchanger. On my 85 E38 it is port side, aft, lower quadrant of exchanger.
Harold

Steve

Member III
Watch for debris

You may want to remove the end cap off the exchanger near the zinc port and be sure you don't have many years worth of built up old slimy zinc pieces collected there. You'd be surprised.

Steve

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I replaced the zinc in my heat exchanger this past weekend. It was completely gone. Probably had never been inspected since the heat exchanger was installed. The thread for the plug is NPT, so I didn't put any tape or sealant on it. Ran the engine for about 20 minutes and there was no leaking.

race7347

Thanks everyone. I found the zinc and am replacing it and will be checking it periodically.

Thanks again!