• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Roller Furling on E30+

Rick Reimer

I am looking into installing a roller furling system on my 30+, but there is not much room for a furling drum in the bow pulpit. Does anybody have experience with a furling system with a narrow drum that fits this boat? I would prefer not using a long spacer to allow sufficient clearance for the large diameter drum that typical Harken and Schaeffer systems seem to have. Thanks!

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Here is a picture of the Harken furler that is on my E30+
What year model is your boat? Does it have mid-boom sheeting? I am curious to see how other E30+ boats have their mainsheet tackle rigged as I may be having my boom refurbished or replaced.

Attachments

• E30_furler.jpg
    E30_furler.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 105

Rick Reimer

Roller furling E30+

Hello:

Thanks for your comments and the picture. My boat is hull #16 built in December, 1979 but a 1980 model. I am the original owner. Your picture shows a different bow pulpit than mine. Mine has a mid-level brace in the bow pulpit that would interfere with the Harken drum in your setup. I guess I could remove the brace but it adds a lot of strength (which I've tested against several pilings over the years.) I also have deck-level running lights in the pulpit area that you don't seem to have. My mainsheet tackle is a Harken hexacat (6 part) that leads to a cockpit traveller near the end of the boom. It has lots of power to control that big main. The original 4-part Schaeffer mainsheet control was too anemic for San Francisco bay.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
My boat is the 1985 model. The nav lights are mounted on the front of the bow pulpit. Traveller is located on cabin top. You can see my boom issues in another thread...

Roller Furler on 30+

I have an 84 30+ with a Crusing Direct furler. It is mounted higher from the deck than the Harken in the photo. It allows the sail to unfurl at about the top of the life line. I inherited it when I bought the boat. It is probably above the brace you refer to if your brace is an extension of that on the sides of the pulpit. I have seen some that have very small drums, maybe 6" across. There is a lot of variety out there.

vern kleist
Via Mar

Attachments

• SittingPretty.jpg
    SittingPretty.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 109

Ernest

Member II
Furling drum diameter

Just bear in mind that the larger the drum diameter, the more leverage you have when furling in heavy winds. Bigger really is better here. And a lot easier.

chasandjudy

chas and judy
I am looking into installing a roller furling system on my 30+, but there is not much room for a furling drum in the bow pulpit. Does anybody have experience with a furling system with a narrow drum that fits this boat? I would prefer not using a long spacer to allow sufficient clearance for the large diameter drum that typical Harken and Schaeffer systems seem to have. Thanks!

My 1986 E 30+ "EDEN" Has a profurl furler and is very good. as an E 30 carries a 150 best becuse of its high mast sail area a 135 is my perferable cruising sail I have ordered a new 150 for racing with the foam luff in it , we shall see how it works . my Ericson generally sails with the top 6 boats in our division it along with a E 28 They are best with the 1:D:egrin:35 in winds to windward up to 25 knots. do not forget I am talking dry wind ' not winds loaded with humidity.

Chas sv-eden@telus.net