• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sponge In Fuel Tank

John Wressell

Member II
While trying to get some water out of the fuel tank the water absorb. sponge fell in. This is on a E35, Mark III with a 4or 5" access port on the top of the tank. Fished around with a coat hanger with a couple of fish hooks on the end but no luck. Would appreciate any suggestions on how to get it out.

Thanks,

John Wressell

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Hmm? Pump fuel out of tank to Jerry Cans? Maybe clean the tank while you are at it? I only wish my E38 had a 5" inspection port. Looking to install one this winter to be able to do the above related task.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
With a port that big, can you not get your arm in?

I added a port to mine a couple of years ago. I now drain the tank into my home furnace every spring and clean out any water or gunk. I have never had a fuel problem and every year when I clean it out there is very little water or gunk. I fill at reputable pumps and never use any additives.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Maybe you could use one of those flexible mirror things to see if you can see it in there. Sounds like it might have gotten behind a baffle?

Glyn Judson

Sponge retrieval.

John, I wonder what would happen if you used an electric oil changing pump with two hoses attached to it, one intake, one discharge? I envision pulling fuel into the pump from just below the surface and returning it at the bottom of the tank. My thoughts run along the lines of starting a current that would eventually float the sponge to within reach of the access port. Tim's comment about adding one to his tank reminds me of an experience I had with the 39 gallon diesel tank in our boat. The factory had fitted a white plastic one (5-6" diameter maybe) that was all cracked and patched with Permatex. West Marine carried the identical brand so I fitted a new one. Within a year or so that one had developed the same cracks. A call to the maker revealed that it was impervious to almost anything except diesel and presumably gasoline. The final fix was that I ordered a slightly larger one from Bomar made of cast aluminum with a Nitrile sealing gasket, see it here: http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,2554.html I simply enlarged the hole slightly in the tank, vacuumed up all the aluminum chips (that's where the recirculating idea comes from) and installed the new one, problem solved. I might add that I did this with a full tank of fuel, allowing the aluminum chips to fall to the bottom. I bought a Reverso oil change pump that I later attached to the crankcase of my Yanmar and along with an in-line ITT filter screen and two pair of women's Nylon peds clamped to the end of the return hose, vacuumed up every last chip. I know this to be true because the fresh fuel was clear enough to see every speck of debris on the bottom. Regards, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Mine is also aluminum although homemade.

There is no way a sponge could get behind the baffle in my tank. The openings are very small.

Glyn Judson

Sponge magnet limitations.

All, Sponge magnets will not work in aluminum or monel tanks, they'll only work in not-too-common tanks made of unobtainium. Glyn

u079721

Contributing Partner
I've got it!

I've got it!

How about you add a quart of water through the inspection hole? The sponge would then absorb all the water, and then get big enough to find!

Of course then you might have to worry that maybe not all of the water got absorbed, and need to add another sponge.....

Naw, nevermind.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
They're real kind, eh John? :egrin:

I would suggest you get any fuel out of there first (as it's now contaminated - and who knows what the sponge itself is doing as far as melting).

Then I would take the mirror route as suggested to locate it. Then use one of those automotive part grabber things (flexible, about 3' long with grabby pinchers on the end) to snag it. You should be able to find one at an automotive place, big box hardware, old hardware, etc.

Then add some more fuel - then take it out again. Then bleed your fuel line and change your filters. Then fill it up. I would be most worried about junk getting into your injectors (or whatever they're called)...

Take a look at these links:

http://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=92518
http://www.tessco.com/products/displayProducts.do?groupId=580&subgroupId=83

This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about...

Good luck - and don't do that again! :nerd:

//sse

Attachments

• grabber.jpg
    grabber.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 175