• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

How bad is it? (Part 2: Boom Corrosion)

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Soliciting ideas on how this might be dealt with and what kind of cost I might be looking at if a yard does the work. This is on an E30+.

This is something I might be able to do myself. It's a Kenyon boom and I believe Rig Rite may be able to supply spare parts; if any aluminum welding is needed I have access to people who can do that.

The two side-by-side holes are where the outhaul cleat used to be. (The Topping Lift cleat is still attached, but should be replaced as well.)

The shots of the bails are 1) Boom Vang/Fwd. Main Single Block, 2) Rear Main Fiddle Block (to traveller.) Note the crack in the mounting plate where the main sheet fiddle block attaches to the bail. (!!!)

Starboard Reefing Slide Track (Port side looks the same.)

Starboard side of Outhaul Sheave. (Port side looks the same.)

(Hope I got all the terminology right...)

Attachments

• E30_11_OutCleat.jpg
    E30_11_OutCleat.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 75
  • E30_01_BV_FwdMainSngl.jpg
    E30_01_BV_FwdMainSngl.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 71
  • E30_04_RearMainFid_2.jpg
    E30_04_RearMainFid_2.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 78
  • E30_08_StbReefTrk_2.jpg
    E30_08_StbReefTrk_2.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 67
  • E30_10_StbOut.jpg
    E30_10_StbOut.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 75

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Alternatives

Strictly "Plan C" but, since you are in California, you might contact Buzz Ballenger http://www.ballengerspars.com/ and ask him if he can rebuild the existing section at a reasonable price.
I have not had work done by his shop but have met some very pleased customers of his. I spoke with him while at the Strictly Sail show in Oakland a few years ago and found him easy to communicate with and open to discuss any sort of project.

It looks like welding of old enlarged holes is needed. Knowing Ericson, there is probably a multi-part outhaul tackle inside that is overdue for replacement/refurbishing also. You should beef up the vang attachment so it can take a modern spring-loaded rod vang and eliminate the top. lift. This would be an opportunity to remove the old track and fill in those holes... there are better ways (IMHO) to rig the reefing lines.

Regards,
Loren

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Yikes! That's ugly. Got any friends that know how to weld aluminum?
Failing that, you could take it over to LeFiell and have them quote
you a price on fixing what you've got, or building a new one.

Cheers,

Martin

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
What would you suggest as a better alternative for the reefing system? I'm open to anything since the whole boom looks like it will need to be repaired or replaced.

I sent the pics to Buzz Ballenger and am waiting for his opinion. I spoke to Rig Rite and am waiting for a cost on a complete new boom; the tube extrusion section alone, inclduing packing and shipping, is about $1,020 not including any hardware that might need to be replaced.