E 38 Black Mast Paint

Ericsean

Member III
My mast needs some touchup, I know it should be repainted, but I was thinking about just touching it up while it is still stepped, and I'm wondering if anyone has used a flat black paint that is a good match.

Thanks

Frank G

Member II
Hi Kevin,
I own a 1985 32-3. My mast needed touch up. I got an Interlux Brightside polyurathane paint chart and used it to find a paint which matched my mast, made by Kenyon. I then noticed that the "black" paint above the cabin top closely matched a dark blue on their chart, and the part of the mast below the cabin top was a more medium blue. The color shift from UV was that dramatic. As it turned out I ended up repainting the entire mast while it was on the ground after transporting the boat.
I followed the instructions to the letter, including thinning the paint down with the Interlux thinner they recommended on the can. I applied the paint with a Whizzer foam roller (from either Home Despot, or Lowes, I forget which) and then tipped it with a good bristle brush. The paint self levels out and dries so smooth that it looks sprayed on.
I used the two part catalized interlux aluminum primer before painting, as paint will not bond to aluminum.
I wonder who the rocket scientist was who came up with the idea to paint, rather than anodize an aluminum mast. I thing it was one of Ericson's biggest design mistakes. I would rather have a clear anodized mast and not have to worry about paint chipping.
Galvanic corrosion crept under the paint wherever there was a stainless steel fastener attached. Look to see if you have paint blisters on your mast at any attachment. If you pop them you will find white powder.

I'm not sure if any of this applies to your mast, but that's what I did.
BTW, my mast looks great, and have received many compliments on my painting skill.
I would h ave rather not had to do this job in the first place.

newgringo

Member III
What I did

We also have a black mast and boom with corrosion under the paint mainly where there is fasteners or rivets. My treatment, about 2 years ago, was to scrape and wire brush the corroded spots to bare metal. Then treat with a two part etching kit (from West Marine), paint on zinc chromate primer followed by brush on black Rustoelum paint. Whole process was quick on a hot sunny day. It doesn't look too wonderful but seems to be holding OK. I think Franks plan would look better though. And, I guess, someday when my mast is on sawhorses I will do the whole thing. Ditto the anodize comment.
Cheers!

spencer

Member II
E-38 Black Mast

I have an E-38 with a brown mast. Last winter I re-painted my boom with a Sherwin Williams paint for Industrial. I talked to a Serwin Williams tech. rep. who recommended a industrial/marine coating they produce called Poly-Lon 1900 with a DTM Wash Primer.Their local commercial store had to special order it then they customed matched the color with their computer. Cost me about $120.00 per gal. I got it at a discount thru a friend who deals commercially with them so I did get it at his cost and cant say what the retail Price is. This stuff can be brushed in on small areas but it is to be sprayed on in larger areas. I did spray it on. I think it is a fantastic paint for its scratch resistance and color match. Only draw back is that you need breathing equipment to apply it. Good lunk with your project. Spencer