• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fuel tank pickup tube

Jon Libby

Member II
Our 36C fuel tank is set under the aft cabin bunk and holds about 45 gallons. The tanks bottom follows the contour of the outside hull and is thus sloped up and away from the rigid pickup tube at the aft end of the tank. I hope I'm not the only one who finds that motor sailing is not an evil thing to admit to, but we find at least 2 or 3 times a season it's very beneficial to point better making for our home port on long crossings.

On a port tack if the heel goes over too far, with less than a full tank of fuel we get air not fuel, you know what is next. Luckily we have the Fuel Boss installed which allows us to just throw a switch and pressurize the fuel system to our Westerbeke. Being self bleeding we get going again knowing where the too much heel point is in relationship to our present fuel level. Some times 5-10 degrees is all it takes with ½ a tank of fuel The Admiral has it on my blue job list of to do’s this winter to make this better. I have 3 access holes in the top of the tank and have even had the tube out. Any ideas or thoughts on a way to a make a pick up tube that can roll around the bottom of the tank, without picking up anything bad from the tank bottom.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FWIW, a fuel tank of that size should have at least one baffle, and, it sounds like a fore-n-aft baffle is called for as well...
Sidebar: That is a very large tank, with the attendant risk of fuel going bad in the off season. About 30 or 35 gallons might better, and with a better shape for use when heeled.
Something to consider next time you remove it for a patch or replacement. :nerd:

Plan B might be to also install a vertical-oriented "day tank" with a small 12 volt pump to move fuel into it from the main tank. You could even, if you like plumbing, manifold the two to isolate a bunch of bad fuel for a while...

Run the engine off the day tank.About 10 gallons might be appropriate. :cool:

Maybe, ya think?

Best,

Loren

Last edited:

Jon Libby

Member II
Good one

Yeah there are baffles, side to side, and it is a very large flat tank. I really like the idea of a day tank. This would add more fuel capacity too. Just what I need more weight in the stern of the boat. I'll bet I could find a spot under the cockpit.

Thanks
Keep the ideas coming.