• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E32 steel engine beds

K Dawson

Atomic 4 wasn't taken care of by previous owner and a leak in the side plate rusted out the steel engine bed. Now I have to take out the remaining bed and build new ones. Has anyone been this fortunate? I am fairly good with epoxy but starting a job like this is totally new to me. I have all the Moyer marine parts replaced that leaked so at least that is complete....

tenders

Innocent Bystander
When I had my A4 pulled out and rebuilt I discovered the same problem. The mechanic chiseled out the rusted half of old bed and had a new one made up out of stainless. He epoxied the new one right into the holes from the old one and it's been super-solid ever since.

K Dawson

Why did you go back to a metal bed and not a glassed wood bed? Do you have any pictures of the project?
Thanks

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Unfortunately this was in 1993 and I don't have pictures. I never thought about glassed wood, but if I had I think I'd have preferred stainless. It wasn't particularly expensive, it wasn't complicated to fabricate, and it'll last forever.

Matey

Member III
E32 Atomic bed mock-up

With the A4 out of the boat .. my engine bed on the starboard side is rusted almost beyond duplication. I took the piece(s), a lot of measurements, and fabricated a mock-up out of wood. Tomorrow I'll test fit it with the crude engine mock-up I made last week. If the math works I guess I'll have some fabricated out of stainless and glass them in. This is new stuff to me .. I'm hopeful I'm on the right track.
The steel ones held up for 37 years, so I'll be 90 when I need to go at them again.

Regards, Greg

Attachments

• eb2 (2).jpg
    eb2 (2).jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 94
  • eb2 (1).jpg
    eb2 (1).jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 92

tenders

Innocent Bystander
What is that first picture a mockup of? If it's the engine, it's the oddest-looking A4 I've ever seen. You sure this is the right forum?

chaco

Member III
Grind Off....Install New

Here are some pics on a FiberGlass Engine Bed replacement for the ridiculous Metal Frame Design that RUSTS OUT in ALL Ericsons eventually :cool:

Have more pics / info as required.

Happy Engine Stringers :egrin: :egrin:

Attachments

• 102_0228.JPG
    102_0228.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 102_0250.JPG
    102_0250.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 123

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Engine Stringer specs

If you look into the specs and document section of the website, you should be able to find the Ericson reccomendations for the E32 for the stringer sizes (including dimensions) for different engine types, including the A4. Not that they probably couldn't be improved upon, but it might be a good sanity check.

jazz177

Steel engine beds

I have just completed a replacement of the engine beds in our 1970 32-2 Jazz. The engine was always raw water cooled and believe me it was time for a replacement. But that is another story. I have known the engine beds would have to be replaced if I ever pulled the engine and put it off as long as I could. Attached are some pictures of some of the job. First the origina steel beds are held in with a cab-o-sil resin mixture which is glassed over. That took about 10 hours of grinding and chiping to remove.

As a replacement I fabed some white oak mounts covered them with glass and epoxy and bedded them in epoxy to the hull then used 3 layers of glass tape down each side. I then capped them with 3/8 304 Stainless. One reason for the stainless cap is because the aft end of the mounts are to thin to take a good lag in the very aft bolt hole on the engine mounts.

If you are interested I have more pictures.

John F.

Attachments

• Port side .jpg
    Port side .jpg
    61 KB · Views: 103
  • Vintage 1970.jpg
    Vintage 1970.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 98
  • ready to install.jpg
    ready to install.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 109
  • out with the old.jpg
    out with the old.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 112
  • In with the new.JPG
    In with the new.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 115

chaco

Member III
Fiberglass Engine Stringers

Here are some Pics on Engine Stringer Jigs and the Finish 3/8"x 3" SS engine stringer cap. The Stringers are formed from HD Styrofoam and Covered with (8) Layers of Glass Cloth/Roving and Epoxy-Filler (1/2" total).

Let me know as you need additonal info.

Good Luck to You :egrin: :egrin:

Attachments

• Engine Stringer Jig1.jpg
    Engine Stringer Jig1.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 66
  • Engine Stringer Jig2.JPG
    Engine Stringer Jig2.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Engine Stringer1.jpg
    Engine Stringer1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 73

Matey

Member III
New engine beds

I went .. the road less traveled. I used the mock up I pictured earlier on the bench, but modified the bottoms to meet the angles of the hull. I fabricated the beds out of steel with a friend's help after getting quotes for $250- and $500- for steel and stainless respectively from the welder. The steel cost me $25-. After cutting all the angles and tacking them in place I took them to the welder and had him melt them. Then I painted them with 3 coats of POR-15 following their step-by-step process. http://www.por15.com/POR-15/productinfo/1GB/ The stuff seems tough, more like epoxy than paint. Anyone have experience with it ?
Then I epoxied them in and tabbed with 4 or 5 layers of mat and biaxial glass. I got side tracked on my steering, but am ready to put the motor back in..

Soon :rolleyes:

Greg

Attachments

• l (3).jpg
    l (3).jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 83
  • steer 010.jpg
    steer 010.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 87
  • eb3.jpg
    eb3.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 85

Emerald

[Then I painted them with 3 coats of POR-15 following their step-by-step process. http://www.por15.com/POR-15/productinfo/1GB/ The stuff seems tough, more like epoxy than paint. Anyone have experience with it ?

POR-15 is an oustanding product. I have used it for many years performing automotive restoration, and if applied per directions, it works great. I do highly recommend using their "metal ready" for prep work and as a primer. No affiliation, just a happy customer for the past 15+ years

Matey

Member III
Por-15

David,

Glad to hear you've been happy with it. A friend used it on his Son's rock crawler and was quite happy with how it's held up in a tough environment. I originally had painted my re-built engine with it, as it was recommended to me by the automotive paint shop here in town. Seemed like good stuff for the steel beds. I called POR to make sure it was compatible with West Systems .. it appears to have bonded excellent with it.
I bought the whole package. Marine Clean (excellent cleaner that I used in my bilges prior to paint), the Mental Prep, the POR and the engine enamel for the motor. The pint went a long way.

Regards, Greg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 225

Matey

Member III
follow up

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->
My $25- steel engine beds painted with POR-15 2 years ago look like the day I put them in, aside from a little bilge slime. Not a speck of rust on them, the steering supports or the Atomic I painted with the same can. Of course all the POR products were $90- or so.

Regards, Greg

Emerald

I've had outstanding success with the POR-15 products. The one thing I would emphasize is that you need to follow the directions, and it is worth using their system - e.g. their Metal Ready etc. If you do follow the directions, it will work as advertised.