• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Hot water tank drainage or removal

Hi Everyone,
I've been busy preparing my 28+ for the winter. Does anyone have a preferred way of draining the hot water tank? The tank is rather loose in it's mount (another jfix-it job to do:)), so I can shake it a bit. It doesn't feel like there's water in the tank, but I want to be sure, before the temperature hits -30 C. I have considered removing the tank completely, since I want to check the condition of the electrical heating element anyway. Is it possible to remove the hot water tank without disconnecting the engine coolant lines (i.e. Does the heat exchanger unit attached to the engine cooling lines slide out of the tank easily, while remaining attached to the hoses)?
Thanks for your help folks! :))

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Most heaters have a drain valve for this purpose. If not, you can disconnect the cold water(fresh) intake line. None of the heat exchanger hoses should need to be disconnected.

newpbs

Member III
Draining Hot Water Tank

My tank has a very small drain that is sealed shut with minerals. When I drain it for the winter I disconnect both water lines and connect the hot and cold lines together. That way I can run antifreeze through the whole water distribution system buth hot and cold lines. To drain the water from the tank itself, I must remove the elbow from the tank. This elbow has a check valve in it that will not allow the tank to drain while it is in place.

BTW, removing the coolant lines was not a big deal on my boat. I simply replenished the lost coolant and the system bled the air out by itself. I removed my tank last summer to clean it out and check the heating element.

Good luck

Paul