• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

How do you remove compass from pedestal?

Frank G

Member II
Hi folks.
I tried t o use the searach function first to get an answer, but got lots of posts unrelated to my question.
How do you remove the compass from the top of the pedestal on a 1985 E-32-3?
I want to do this to try to get at the sticking shifter cable and try to figure out how to lubricate it.
A friend in my sailing club says you just pry it off, but I didn't want to do this without first asking you all.
Thanks
Frank

Dan Callen

Contributing Member III
Compass Removal

Frank- Your compass should come off the pedestal with a little twist...mine does. Go to Ace Hardware and buy a light weight oil that has a long extending tube. You can extend the tube so you can squirt the oil in to the top of the cable housing or tube. This may work without having to take everything apart. I lube mine this way once a year. Good luck. Dan Callen Ericson 32-3 Andiamo

treilley

Sustaining Partner
The compass on my '85 35-3 is attached with screws. You first remove the 2 very small screws that attach the black night light shroud at the front of the compass. Next the SS surround should lift straight up exposing the frame supporting the compass and the screws that attach it to the top of the pedestal.

While you have it off, replace the night light bulb and clean up the contacts.

Here is a service manual with the exploded parts from my compass.

http://www.ritchienavigation.com/docs/manual2007/Globemaster.pdf

Last edited:

Steve

Member III
Watch the little night light wires

FYI.. watch the little night light wiring, I once chased for days why my running light breaker would snap while underway but would never snap while at rest during testing (of course!). Turns out the little wire had gotten pinched in the transmission lever cam under the compass, -it shorted when you placed into gear, and snapped the breaker. You guessed it, it was the last place I tried to trouble shoot. Yep, there is was after many-many frustrated hours of finding nothing wrong with the rest of the boat! Complicated things was it was intermittent so it wasn't an absolute each time in gear. Now the wires live in a long straw zip-tied to the binnacle housing to keep away from all the moving parts. Why it was loose to begin with is a mystery, I'm assuming the PO (ten plus years ago) had a yard fix the little light or compass was removed and they took a short-cut (not thinking) because there was wire buts on the OEM wiring just above the problem.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If the main reason to start this project is the "sticking" shifter, be aware that one proven sticking point is where the SS shifter rod rotates back 'n' forth in the side of the aluminum casting under the compass. When we had our cables replaced this was found to be 90% of the problem with both cables being darn near stuck solid for a long time. At 19 years, we replaced both cables anyway. Bi-Metallic Corrosion is evil. :(

I have taken my compass off several times. I have the YS wheel steering, which is probably the same as yours. (?)
Look at the black plastic top cover over the light. Should be a screw on each side. Then there are some very long screws, as Tim points out. As I recall, once you back these off completely the compass unit should lift up.
Careful of the small dia. wiring for the compass light.

The factory compass on most (all?) of the mid-late 80's Ericsons/Olsons was an $800. (retail) Ritchie SP-5C Globemaster. Don't break it, and if the fluid has become cloudy or the top is too scratched these can be rebuilt.

Best,
Loren

ps: take some disassembly pics and post 'em here. Interesting subject for a lot of owners.

Last edited:

Frank G

Member II
Thanks for all the good info.
Yes, I'm taking off the compass to work on the sticking shift lever.
I'll take pics, but then that means I have to learn how to E-mail digital pics. I'll wait until this Wednesday when a computer guy is coming to hook up my new HP multimedia computer.
I hate technology, cell phones, computers etc. But I use them anyways, but hate to read manuals and figure things out.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I will be doing this same process this winter. I plan on writing up a tech article on it. Included will be shifter linkage/cable lubrication and Binacle repaint.

FullTilt E28

Member III
Fantastic!!!

You guys must have been reading my mind! I was just wondering how the heck I was going to get to the cables for a badly needed grease job.. Thank you for this post!!!!!!!!

86 E28

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Sticky Shifter

Our shifter was tough to move. It took both hands in the cold weather.

I first inspected as much of the cable as possible to rule out any rub spots/kinks etc.

Just to make sure the shift lever at the transmission was operating smoothly, I disconnected the cable at the trans and was able to shift by hand easily.

Our local marina had suggested I remove the cable and give it to them to order a new one but.......first I should use their sooper dooper penetrating oil and load up the topside of the cable while working the shifter back and forth awhile. Guess what. It became a bit easier to shift and only got better as time passed (about a month). This was 3 years ago and it is still operating just fine, even in the Winter at below freezing temps.