• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E 23 Mast Step System

I have the optional mast step system on my E23; I've owned the boat for 2 years, never step the mast down, until this year...one question; where are the boom guys? I thought I had everything.......are the boom guys the backstays or am I missing part of the step system.
Thanks,
Tom Colley

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Do you have a Mk1 or a Mk2 - 23? The boom bridle should go from the aft end of your boom to the shroud chain plates. Is your mast step tabernacled (hinged)? How is your system set-up now?

mast step

I have 1974 mk 2 with the hinged msast step system; it shows boom guys going from the lower chainplate to the mainsheet bale to steady the mast from side to side; I cannot figure out what to use
Tom

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
If your system suggests the topping lift that is off the back stay as the connection to the boom I would back it up with a halyard attached to the end of the boom and tied off on a cleat on the mast. I have seen two of the snap hooks broken recently one on my boat and one on a Neptune 24.

You can use rope such as a halyard type for the boom bridle as light as your mast is. Be sure all is secured well and you will be OK..

If you have a hinged mast plate you can walk the mast up if you have three people and won’t need the bridle and the other stuff.

I use the bridle system on my E29T the boom bridle and the shroud bridle are wire but the mast head to the shroud part is just two halyards and the stretch actually helps keep things loaded but not bound.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Tom, I was going to do the bridle thing this year(didn't). I've always done it w/ 2 people(20+ years). I'm 160 x 5'-9 and my bud is 190 x 6'-2. Smaller guy towards the mast. It's intimidating but not that hard.

Two very IMPORTANT things, back-off(loosen) the upper stay turnbuckles ~1" minimum. If you try to lower the mast w/o loosening the turnbuckles it WILL destroy something. 2 tape the upper stay to the lifeline so the turnbuckle can't kink(more urgent going up). The lower stays can be removed from the chainplate completely before lowering.

Picture of the pulpit roller I made, ply,1x's and a trailer roller.

Attachments

• E23 mast.JPG
    E23 mast.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
mast step

Thanks for the input; what do I use for the boom bridle? I need to know, but I can find some help.....
Thanks again,
Tom

sleather

Sustaining Member
Steve what does the 23 mast weigh? I am guessing less than 100 LB.

I've moved it myself a number of times, I'd say 120# based on the weight of the outboard.

Tom, Which diagram do you have? I think there are two in the document section. *Same document 2 diagrams http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/local_links.php?action=jump&id=397&catid=79

Does yours have a split backstay and a traveler? Mine never had the two rear blocks because it came w/ a split and traveler.

Last edited:
mast step

I have the double back stay; note on the diagram #4 on lowering the mast; boom guys to mainsheet bale; what do I use for the boom guys (extra cable somewhere on the boat); everything else I have; where is this boom guy (is it one of the split backstays).
Thanks,
Tom

TwistedLogic

Member II
Tom:
I was also "bewitched" with the "boom guys" question. (Sorry).
After searching every square inch of my bilge, and inquiring every place I could think of, including this site; I made my own temporary guys out of surplus good quality 1/4" double braid line and a couple of shackles. There is a lot of stress on the guys during the raising/lowering process, so don't use questionable line. Also, I made sure my knots at the deck end of the line could be released quickly under pressure just in case I made them too short! I didn't want to get the mast almost up/down and then have to reverse the process because the guys weren't quite long enough. I will say that after raising and lowering the mast using brute force, following the instructions and using the boom guys made the experience a lot less exciting, which is a good thing. Unfortunately for you, I didn't keep or even measure the length of line I used for the guys. Sorry.

TwistedLogic

Member II
On my boat, (1975 MkII Hull #220) the mast drops to the bow. The mast foot actually sweeps up in the front to allow clearance when the mast is raised/lowered. I do have a bow pulpit fitting with roller to hold the lowered mast at the bow, a bracket that bolts in the mast step to set the center of the lowered mast on, and a stern strut that supports the mast over the cockpit. If you are willing to pay shipping both ways, you are welcome to borrow them. They are ugly, but they work, and they are currently gathering dust in the attic. This is sailing weather in florida!

moto

Member I
I'm trying to figure out how to lower the mast on a 23-2, but am getting different info. Or maybe I'm just not catching on. It appears that the step is different for the 23-1 and the 23-2. Can the 23-2 mast be raised as described in the brochure attached to post #10 above?

sleather

Sustaining Member
I'm trying to figure out how to lower the mast on a 23-2, but am getting different info. Or maybe I'm just not catching on. It appears that the step is different for the 23-1 and the 23-2. Can the 23-2 mast be raised as described in the brochure attached to post #10 above?

moto, From what I understand the raising system on the 23-2 was an option. The base of the mast is radiused as TL mentioned w/ a hole for a 3/8" pivot pin and the mast base(on the deck) has a stainless fitting that the end of the mast fits into(see pic). Is yours a fixed keel or K/CB? The CB has the raised base for the CB pendant to exit.

Red Witch/Tom, What I was planning to do was to install SS shackles in the lower chainplate holes(after removing the lowers) and lead the lines(old halyards) back to my dual cabin-top winches and use a stopper to secure them. That way they would be adjustable. Seeing how I never had the "boom guys" either I don't know what the proper length should be. Since I have a 4:1 fiddle block mainsheet I never did figure out another winching tackle system. I was hoping to have a solo system figured out by now, but it's sooo much easier doing it w/ 2 people that know the drill.

Do either of you have pictures of your boats?

Attachments

• mast-sm.JPG
    mast-sm.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 146
  • OVERALL.JPG
    OVERALL.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

sleather

Sustaining Member
moto, For that setup you'll either have to use a yard crane or a "gin pole" setup.

The gin pole is a temporary mast about 1/2 the length that sits just ahead of the mast and has 3 stays. It has a block at the top that goes to a pole mounted winch. The line is attached to the mast and secured 1/2 way up w/ a halyard and downhaul. You can then lift the mast and lower it by backing off on the winch while going horizontal. Balance is the key. We had a setup like that for a J24 which is keel stepped and it worked great!

A quick Google of "sailboat gin pole" got this result(among many)...........Ericson 23 no less ;)

http://sailingtexas.proboards102.com/index.cgi?board=repairs&action=display&thread=184

Last edited:

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Mast Raising

Moto~

You have the same type of mast base and a very similar stick as my E25. Without the hinging tabernacle mounted on the deck top it makes raising the mast impossible by yourself.

I have raised and lowered my mast with the help of two other people. It is a bear to do!! One person has to hold the bottom of the mast on the mast plate and the other two walk the bitch up. Fifteen seconds of everything youve got is it what it takes!!! There is no other way around it without the hinging at the mast bottom.

I no longer raise or lower my mast by myself for two reasons, first being I dont want to get hurt and secondly I have run out of friends that will help me with this task. I pay the yard to do this for me for $80 and I sit and drink a beer.

Attachments

• Mast Pictures 014.jpg
    Mast Pictures 014.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 663