• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Shower arrangements in fwd head of E39B ?

Sven

Seglare
Do any of you have pictures of shower arrangements in the forward head of an E39B ?

How about a shower sump installation (I believe the stock setup drains into the bilge) ?

Thanks,

-Sven

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sumps and Pumps

How about a shower sump installation (I believe the stock setup drains into the bilge) ?

Apropos of showers in general, our '88 has too shallow of a bilge to have room for a separate shower sump. There is a recess in the frp molded floor in the head compartment with a teak grating over it... and about a one inch exit to the bilge. If we were going to spend a lot of time aboard I would plumb a 3/4" line to the exit hole and lead that line to a small Y valve in the electric bilge pumping line. I have been on quite a few other boat under 40 feet, and only a very few had a deep enough bilge section, where the head compartment was located, to have room for a sump pan with incorporated pump. It is a quandary for sure. My assumption is that until recent times, well-designed provision for efficient showering inside a boat was not demanded by the customers. :rolleyes:
I know of people with *very* nice boats over 38 feet that still consider it normal and ordinary to shower in the cockpit with a pump-up garden sprayer filled with hot water. Works fine when anchored out in the wilderness --- not so fine at a transient dock! :cool:

Regards,
Loren

Guy Stevens

Yeah but...

at the transient dock you can go ashore for a shower. So why add the moisture to the inside of the boat?

Guy
:)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
at the transient dock you can go ashore for a shower. So why add the moisture to the inside of the boat?

Guy

The good news for us Oregonians is that we have nice tie-ups available at concrete floats up and down the Columbia River and on many larger lakes, all built with our boating registration $$ and at zero cost to the state general fund...
OTOH, those docks never have showers unless located adjacent to a city waterfront with their own shower building, like the one at St Helens, OR.

Every boating area probably has its plusses and minuses, though.
:rolleyes:

As to moisture, we really dislike the mess inside the boat from showering.
:p

Loren

Mike Tinder

Member II
Shower

We liveaboard our E-39B and our shower drains into the bilge. There is a 1" line that goes all the way back aft to the deepest part of the bilge, which is under the engine. We shower on shore when they are available. I will put in a seperate sump someday, but for now the water goes straight to the bottom of the bilge, so as not get get any other area of the bilge wet. Except for the tiny bit of water under the bilge pump, our bilge is clean and dry. We also keep a strainer in the shower drain so nothing gets in the bilge.

Sven

Seglare
Hi Mike,

We liveaboard our E-39B and our shower drains into the bilge. There is a 1" line that goes all the way back aft to the deepest part of the bilge, which is under the engine. We shower on shore when they are available. I will put in a seperate sump someday, but for now the water goes straight to the bottom of the bilge, so as not get get any other area of the bilge wet. Except for the tiny bit of water under the bilge pump, our bilge is clean and dry. We also keep a strainer in the shower drain so nothing gets in the bilge.

So the natural place would probably be to put the sump in the deeper part of the bilge, basically emptying the 1" line into a tank that gets pumped out automatically ? That doesn't sound bad at all.

Controlling humidity ... yes, that is still an issue.

Thanks,

-Sven

Mike Tinder

Member II
Shower

As for the humidity, don't take such a super hot shower, warm water is just fine. Take a navy shower and you will have to worry even less about humidity.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
The good news for us Oregonians is that we have nice tie-ups available at concrete floats up and down the Columbia River and on many larger lakes, all built with our boating registration $$ and at zero cost to the state general fund...
OTOH, those docks never have showers unless located adjacent to a city waterfront with their own shower building, like the one at St Helens, OR.

Every boating area probably has its plusses and minuses, though.
:rolleyes:

As to moisture, we really dislike the mess inside the boat from showering.
:p

Loren

I have found that wiping down the shower stall with a good shammy after showering makes a big difference. We also leave the portlight ajar. Our shower runs into the bilge right next to the head that is kept seperate from the rest of the bilge by the TAFG.

We use our shower often. Sometimes shore facilities are not too nice if we find them at all. Many of our destinations do not have anything on shore.

Glyn Judson

Shower: Keeping humidity and water volume to a minimum.

All, I'm restating something I've posted before so please bear with me. When we got our E31 the head was plumbed for hot and cold water in the sink with a shower attachment to the faucets. The 110 volt-only water heater was shot so I removed it, planning some form of replacement at a later date. I took the suggestion of a woman formerly on this list who lived and sailed in and around Alaska. The result is that I bought a one-gallon, stainless steel Hudson garden sprayer for under $40.00 mail order from WalMart and we now use that exclusively for onboard showers. I bent the brass spray want into a U shape, the only modification made to the sprayer. I can honestly say that with less than one gallon of water in the tank heated with the pump mechanism removed on our 5,000 BTU Force 10 propane stove burner for less than five minutes, there's enough wonderfully hot water to shampoo hair twice and completely shower down for BOTH OF US! Now that's efficiency taken to its highest level. After removing the tank from the stove, it's a simple matter of pumping it up to pressure and carrying it into the head. By adjusting the nozzle tip, increasing or decreasing the spray, the temperature of the water can be controlled to the desired comfort level. When not in use the sprayer takes up very little space at the bottom rear of the hanging locker, ready for its next use. I share this with all those of you wishing you could take a hot shower onboard with the least hassle. Our shower pan dumps directly to the bilge and the automatic bilge pump makes short order of it. The advantages are that the engine doesn't have to be run for the hot water heater and it beats always having to shower at 4PM in the summer if using a Sun Shower. We of course wipe down the head interior from the minimal amount of over spray. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA