• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35 MkII Papillon is for sale!

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Well, almost....
We have an offer in on a Reliance 44 ketch, Wanderlust V, and should know in the next few days if we're two-boat owners or not. It's kind of exciting but a little sad at the same time. I will be putting the details up in the next few days if the stars align correctly.
We weren't really looking for another boat, but this one came along and the deal is too good to pass up. I know the boat and have spoken with the owner/builder several times over the last couple of years. She and her husband purchased a complete hull and deck in 1980 and spent 8 years fitting her out before sailing to Mexico, the South Pacific, Hawaii and back to the Pacific Northwest. They returned to working lives for a few years and then in 2002, headed south again. They survived hurricane Marty, but not before replacing both masts and all the standing and running rigging. After a couple of years, Peter had to return to Vancouver for a bypass operation. He survived the surgery, seemed to make a wonderful recovery and then died suddenly while responding to "Get Well" emails. Very Sad.
The boat was sailed home and went through a variety of updates including replacement of all the wiring, 12 new 6v batteries, a new windlass and diesel generator.
She has lots of the "toys" we would be looking to add anyway, but has been neglected from an interior finishing point-of-view. This is exactly what we would have chosen - good solid systems - but needing some spit and polish (and cushions, and headliner, etc.).
BTW, the boat that they owned before the Reliance was a factory new Ericson 32-2 that they cut their cruising teeth on!
We'll keep you all up to date and put up details and price for Papillon when we know for sure.

Mike.Gritten

Member III
So now, we own two boats......

:scared:

Okay, so now one has to go!

Papillon is listed for sale! :esad:

Tons of work done and lots of new systems and "bits". New main with Dutchman, cockpit enclosure, new sail cover, etc., etc., etc., Check out the listing below for all the details.

We're taking offers on $55,000 CDN (approx $44K US) :)

Papillon Brokerage Listing

boethius27

Member II
Ok, so I just went and looked at the listing for Papillon. That is a monstrous amount of canvas! The cockpit enclosure is awesome. It is like a whole nother boat. Neato.

Mike.Gritten

Member III
New Boat "Wanderlust V"

Okay, since you asked, here are a couple of pics of our "new" boat, Wanderlust V. She is a substantial boat with a registered displacement of 16.2 tons, almost 45' LOD and 51' LOA, ketch rig, nice tanbark dacron sails, and a built-n 72 key marine piano! Too bad I don't play :confused:
She graced the front cover of Pacific Yachting magazine, up here in the PNW, back in 1997 and even appeared at anchor in the background of one of the big sailing calendar photos a few years ago. I'm a sucker for a pretty girl and this one takes my breath away!
(Hmmmm, I guess it's no mystery why my wife gets soooooo irritated with me at times. ;) )

Enjoy the pics...

BTW, Wanderlust's PO used to sail a '76 E32-2 back in California in the late 70's. She, too, was called Wanderlust (IV) and if any "lurkers" here know of her whereabouts, I would love to hear about it. Thanks!

Attachments

• Wanderlust V Banderas Bay Regatta.jpg
    Wanderlust V Banderas Bay Regatta.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Wanderlust V.jpg
    Wanderlust V.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 114

boethius27

Member II
There is somebody living aboard here in this marina who were once looking at a 40 some foot sailboat that had a piano built into it. I believe they said it had been built for some French pianist. Now, there can't be too many built-in piano sailboats floating about. Wonder if this one is the same or related....

And you are right, she is beautiful. Congrats.

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Piano on board

The story goes like this. Peter (the PO's husband) was an engineer by profession, but had played piano semi-professionally at one point in his life and had never lived in a house without a piano. They were living in San Diego when they ordered the Reliance 44 hull and deck. While visiting a local music store, the guy showed them a little piano he had in the back. He said that it came out of some US Marine officer's boat (it's not clear if he meant a boat the marine was serving on or if it was his personal vessel) and that it was designed from the outset to be installed on a boat - all the strings and mechanicals are stainless steel. They bought it from the guy for $300 (back in 1980, a lot of money). They shipped it back to Vancouver where the new boat was being delivered and had to remove/customize the hatchway to get the thing below. They basically built the nav station around it. They discovered afterwards that the piano can (with some effort) be disassembled into smaller chunks to facilitate installation and removal. It has been aboard Wanderlust V ever since, having travelled more than 30,000 ocean miles. When we viewing the boat with the PO this last weekend, she played it and the sound was wonderful (if a bit out of tune on a couple of keys). Neither my wife nor I play, but we look forward to learning!

Attachments

• wanderlust16.jpg
    wanderlust16.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 55
  • wanderlust17.jpg
    wanderlust17.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 59

boethius27

Member II
Ok. Certainly not the same one then. The one I was thinking of had the strings mounted vertically and fiberglassed right in to the starboard hull!

Still, a very cool story. I don't play, but my fiancee does and I'm sure she'd love to have something like that! Thanks for sharing.

CaptDan

Member III
Okay, since you asked, here are a couple of pics of our "new" boat, Wanderlust V.

Good gracious, she's a beauty, Mike! I can certainly understand why you fell for those lines.:) Sorry to see you leave the Viking fold, but hope you stick around for grins.:egrin:

Maybe one day I'll have an opportunity to tinkle those ivories; I do play a bit, but never had the experience of doing so on a yacht - let alone one that looks like this.

Good luck with your new adventure, and I hope Papillon goes to a deserving owner.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Thanks, Dan. I will definitely stay in touch with our Ericson group here. I find that a lot of the info we have archived here is applicable to many yachts from this era. But, most important is the wonderful people participating on this site. Many of you I now call friends and enjoy meeting with you at the rendezvous we've had here. Hopefully, if all goes well we can bring her to one of the PNW get togethers and "lubricate" all you piano players into tinkling the ivories aboard Wanderlust.
Of course, all this requires that Papillon is sold, so think good thoughts everyone!

Stuart

Member II
Congrats!!!!

Hi Mike
Wow, what a beauty, you have taken two foot ides’ to a new level! Hope we see you and Lynn out cruising, a closer look at the fine new vessel and catch up on stuff.
Cheers
Stuart

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Papillon is just beautiful - I was just looking thru the gallery of pics at the broker site.

One comment about value, since we have recently been pricing a new dodger+bimini+enclosure is that this "canvas cruising combo" costs about $7K for that size boat. Add the cost of the three-blade Maxprop and you've reached $10K for those items alone.
That's one very nicely-equipped "turn key" Ericson. A real rarity in a market place of neglected boats.
:egrin:

All the best,
Loren

Mike.Gritten

Member III
thanks, Loren,

Kind words from the captain of a vessel as pretty as Fresh Air!

We (our broker has done all the work!) have shown her to 5 different potential buyers, all of whom commented how nicely set up she was. The lady who visited her from Quadra Island this last weekend, however, is apparently in love with her and will be making an offer in the next few days! We're optimistic and hopeful.
On a similar note, we have managed to secure a new 45 ft. slip at our Yacht Club, right in downtown Vancouver. This will enable us to actually KEEP the bigger boat here! Baby steps, baby steps...!

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Sean/All,

the dates just don't work for us this year for the rendezvous. I am out of town the last week in May and then my son is getting married on 27 June, so we just don't have the vacation time left after that. Plus, all our financial resources are tapped out being used for the new boat and the wedding. Sorry, guys. It will have to be next year! We'll bring the big ketch!

sailor11767

Member II
Engine location in Papillion

Mike,

The pictures of Papillion caught my eye. It seems to me that most E-35/II's with the dinette had a mid-boat engine. This is great from a performance perspective, and from an engine access perspective. A very few, including yours and a boat I have recently been considering, have the engine aft like the settee versions. This is good from a noise standpoint, and also I suspect that it greatly improves the cabin space issues by elminating that big "bump" in the seating plan. It may also provide a bit more useable storage (under the dinette), although it eliminates that terrific trash-can locker behind the steps.

Any thoughts?

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Ours has a factory westerbeke diesel. I don't think they put the diesels under the settee where the A4 goes. It works fine for us!
BTW, looks like it's sold!

Mike.Gritten

Member III
this is not what we like.. the engine location behind the ladder works great for us. It is not really quiet either, but it works! The space allows for bigger alteranators, etc. Also we have our house band in the same space that the mid-engine is mounted. keeps the weight in the center of the boat as well.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Oh, There's a Way

Sean/All,
the dates just don't work for us this year for the rendezvous. I am out of town the last week in May and then my son is getting married on 27 June, so we just don't have the vacation time left after that. Plus, all our financial resources are tapped out being used for the new boat and the wedding. Sorry, guys. It will have to be next year! We'll bring the big ketch!

Bring the happy couple to the rendezvous to meet their (very!) extended viking family... They are sailors, I presume...
We could all drink a toast to their future happiness with glasses of "apple pie" !
:cool:

Best,
Loren