• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

What to do about corroded pedestal base?

JEESails

Member I
Hello,
The base of the pedestal on my E-38 is badly corroded (see pics). Can this be repaired? If it needs replaced, does anyone have any experience or ideas to replace it? Can I just replace the base or does the entire pedestal have to be replaced? Thanks! John

Attachments

• Binacle Corrosion.jpg
    Binacle Corrosion.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Binacle Corrosion 2.jpg
    Binacle Corrosion 2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Binacle Corrosion 3.jpg
    Binacle Corrosion 3.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 116

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Thats looks just like ours when we got our boat!

Theres a thread somewhere on this site about someone who a made mold to make new bases with.

In our case though, I simply bought a complete used pedestal that was in good shape. It was good to go through the steering system anyway and replace bearings as needed, steering cables, and realign the sheaves.

You'll also want to check for water saturation in the core around the bolts. We fortunately/unbelievably had none.

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Can't tell from the pic, is the corrosion cosmetic or structural? If its cosmetic you could clean it up, seal and fill with epoxy and then paint. If its structural it may be repairable by welding, grinding, sanding, etc. Likely the best option is a used unit. Given all the hurricanes and damaged boats I would think that used pedestals are plentiful. RT

Steve

Member III
Ours too

We've been nursing ours for years now. I get about a year and a half out of a repair before it's back to taping off, grinding it down, picking/digging out the chalky corrosion then filling the deep gouges with JB Weld with a little fiberglass mat, fairing off with good old bondo, painting, and it actually looks good.... I know the day's coming when only plastic will be left. So we too are hopeful on finding a salvage in the near future, before having to spend the big bucks on an Edison conversion. Clearly a casting flaw was very common to this era. To bad they aren't in business anymore to help out with replacement parts.

Steve
e35-3 #159

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Pedestal base resurrection

Anyone have a recent triumph in replacing a YS pedestal base? Mine is pictured.

There must be a way to have a shop remove the old alum base and adapt some other base to the tube, or even machine a new base.

Or should I say there ought to be a way....
Pedestal B.jpg

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Since you are in So Cal, you might want to take a trip down to Minney's in Costa Mesa. They usually have 2 or 3 used pedestals. Might be cheap enough to buy the whole thing than having something manufactured.

D & DM Cahill

Member II
Pedestal base resurrection

We went through the same problem when we purchased our E38, Amazing Grace. I was lucky enough to find a Yacht Specialties pedestal at Pacfic Marine Exchange, 700 W. Holly Street, Bellingham, Wa. 98225 (360-738-8535 - note-they are closed on Mondays). I think I paid about $450 for the pedestal which included everything but the wheel, cables and compass. I was in Pacific Marine Exchange about two weeks ago and I think I saw a Yacht Specialties pedestal in their basement. You may need to check the height you need since I think they were made in several different heights. Dave

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thank you Todd and Dave for very timely and specific advice. Minney's has no pedestals at the moment, but Mike Kimmick at Pacific Marine Exchange (see phone in Dave's message above) had exactly my pedestal. We exchanged photos and dimensions and it is being packed up and shipped to me here in LA. Price was $495 including wheel. I don't need the wheel so if you do, call Mike.

My alternative was to make a new base. An aviation machinist didn;t think it was a big deal, and said "The best thing to do is to machine a new one out of billet 6061 hard anodize
(type2) then put two plies of glass over it to seal it, sand, and paint. It won't last for ever but it should be good for 10 to 15 years or more."

Local opinion is that the frequent instance of base corrosion on this unit--in which the rest of the pedestal is fine after 27 years--is SS bolts through aluminum. The unit should be wired to a zinc.

Regards,
CW

juneausailin

Member II
Merriman Steering sprocket

Hello, wondering if you have any info on removing the chain sprocket from a merriman pedestal? Couldn't quite see any way of pulling it off to swap out with a newer one...

Thats looks just like ours when we got our boat!

Theres a thread somewhere on this site about someone who a made mold to make new bases with.

In our case though, I simply bought a complete used pedestal that was in good shape. It was good to go through the steering system anyway and replace bearings as needed, steering cables, and realign the sheaves.

You'll also want to check for water saturation in the core around the bolts. We fortunately/unbelievably had none.

D & DM Cahill

Member II
Merriman Steering sprocket

Hi juneausailin. I am sorry that I can't give you any advice on how to get the chain sprocket off. I was lucky enough to find a replacement pedestal that I didn't need to change the sprocket. Good luck on your change out. Thanks. Dave