• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

La Petite free to a good berth

Brisco

Member I
if you have any questions about the harbor or the islands don't hesitate to ask.

Well since you can never get enough information. Any advice on sailing north of Pt Dume? I have read Dangers of Santa Monica Bay (Which I notice is where Jeff's picture came from).

Any special rules while passing in front of Port Hueneme or Pt Mugo Navy bases? I am planning on staying well offshore and we will be shoving off long before sunrise.

First time sailing these waters.

Thanks,

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I used to sail out of Channel Islands Harbor which has it's entrance right next to Port Hueneme's entrance just on the other side of Silver Strand Beach. I some times sailed right in front of that Port Hueneme harbor entrance and never noticed any patrols. Regardless, I would give those places a wide berth.

When I sailed up from San Diego I averaged staying 3 to 6 miles off shore. Always safer out there. Make sure you take a chart with you. The one I most often refer to is the one is 18740 San Diego To Santa Rosa Island, but that doesn't cover you past Port Hueneme.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/18740.shtml

You also want to try to stay away from the shipping lanes marked in red.

I also recommend buying the Chart Pack that contains the whole coast from San Francisco to Ensanada.

I know that Don Anderson has made the trip a few times and he's a member of EY.org http://www.andersonsailingcharters.com/

Don's a real nice guy. Check his web site and give him a call. I am sure he could give you some good advice. 60 miles is a long trip. I did about 70 miles from the bottom of San Diego Harbor in Chula Vista to Dana Point and it took me about 17 1/2 hours. I would leave well before dawn or early in the evening because the winds usually come up in the afternoon and they are almost always on your nose when sailing up the coast. You also have a bout a knot and a half current against you.

A great book to check out is Brian Fagen's Crusing Guide.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Cr...hern-California/Brian-M-Fagan/e/9780071374644

Wish I had the time to go with you.

Steve Swann

Member III
La Petite Gone, Steve Home

It looks like a lot of good things happened while we were out cruising! As I mentioned last month, La Petite would come to Idaho in the next few days if she was still available, but it seems like someone came to their senses and grabbed a great boat!

Glad it all worked out.

Steve Swann
Boise, ID

Sven

Seglare
Hi Steve,

It looks like a lot of good things happened while we were out cruising!

How was your cruise ? That is one fine boat you bought ! It might not be an Ericson, but almost as good :)

Where exactly did you sail her from and to ? Things were so rushed when we talked that I kind of lost track.

-Sven

Last edited:

bigtyme805

Member III
Up the Coast

Jeff mentioned that trip up the coast that I have done a few times. I have done it sailing and motoring. The current is tough and I would recommend leaving early and hope for some wind.

With that outboard will take a little longer.

The best trip heading for me was heading out deep and coming back in. Don't like motoring if I don't have to.

Hope they made it safe...